[News] SaaS Takes Root in Free Software Companies and Figures

  • Subject: [News] SaaS Takes Root in Free Software Companies and Figures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:23:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GroundWork, Eucalyptus Team Up on Open Source Cloud Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Though both GroundWork and Eucalyptus have
| open source versions of their products and
| the pair are now soliciting users to
| participate in a beta program, the cloud
| monitoring solution itself is not entirely
| open source.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3875371/GroundWork-Eucalyptus-Team-Up-on-Open-Source-Cloud-Management.htm

Olliance CEO Interview Series: Larry Augustin on the intersection of Open Source and Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry:  I agree with that.  I think of the
| Cloud as the platform now.  I think of
| porting to Amazon, Rackspace or Windows
| Azure.  I donât think of porting to Linux
| or porting to Microsoft Windows.
|
| I think of the Cloud service provider as
| the platform.  And the OS, just like the
| database, is a piece of the stack. The app
| server is a piece of the stack.  Those are
| all pieces of the stack.  The importance of
| the OS is declining and the importance of
| the Cloud service is increasing.  And that
| to me is independent of Open Source or
| proprietary.
`----

http://blogs.olliancegroup.com/2010/04/01/olliance-ceo-interview-series-larry-augustin-on-the-intersection-of-open-source-and-cloud/

Business of open source: my take on "open core"

,----[ Quote ]
| From a higher perspective, I believe that
| the whole IT market is moving toward
| service-based approaches â SaaS paved the
| way â because it aligns customer value with
| vendor revenue. That's why we â at Nuxeo â
| won't use the open core model even if it
| could increase short term revenue. We're
| here to stay and we believe that basing our
| revenue stream on the value we create for
| our customers is the best way to create
| sustainable growth.
`----

http://blogs.nuxeo.com/ebarroca/2010/04/business-open-source-my-take-on-the-open-core-debate.html