[News] Why Proprietary Software Licensing Turns Out to be Worse Than Commonly Conceived

  • Subject: [News] Why Proprietary Software Licensing Turns Out to be Worse Than Commonly Conceived
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:45:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Proprietary Licenses Are Even Worse Than They Look

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's licenses are probably the easiest
| example of proprietary licensing terms that
| are well beyond reasonableness. Of course,
| Apple's licenses do the usual things like
| forbidding users from copying, modifying,
| sharing, and reverse engineering the software.
| But even worse, Apple also forbid users from
| running Apple software on any hardware that is
| not produced by Apple.
`----

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2010/04/07/proprietary-licenses.html

Using the GPL for Eclipse Plug-Ins

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently we've seen some questions about
| whether Eclipse plug-ins can be released under
| the GPL. Answered briefly, this is possible if
| you can provide an additional permission with
| the license to allow combining your plug-in
| with the necessary EPL-covered libraries. The
| rest of this post examines why an additional
| permission is necessary, and has specific
| recommendations for interested developers.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/using-the-gpl-for-eclipse-plug-ins

Recent:

Anarchy in the EULA

,----[ Quote ]
| If we contrast this depravity with the GPL
| and OpenSource definition, we see some
| glaring issues. Much of the code in a
| Linux system is OpenSource code. This
| includes the Linux kernel, the GNU
| Compiler Collection (GCC), the X Window
| System, and many other critical
| components. So, this EULA is BREAKING the
| GPL. The GPL allows you to use software
| released under the GPL for any reason,
| view the source code, redistribute the
| source code, and adopt the source code.
| The Igelle EULA forbids this, because you
| are only allowed to "use the Software."
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/02/bad-tide.html

The Windows 7 License can make you love free software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/The-Windows-7-License-can-make-you-love-free-software