[News] Dominoâs Patents Faking Preparation of Pizza, Other Weird Patents and More Patent Trolls

  • Subject: [News] Dominoâs Patents Faking Preparation of Pizza, Other Weird Patents and More Patent Trolls
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:27:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

An uncompromising look at the Dominoâs Pizza Tracker

,----[ Quote ]
| âThe Tracker is a fraud,â claimed one pizza
| eater who requested anonymity. In a
| rambling online post, the man insisted
| that, despite the trackerâs insistence that
| his pizza had been successfully baked and
| cooked to perfection, Dominoâs had left
| numerous messages on his voicemail
| explaining that his order could not be
| filled because the store had run out of
| dough.
`----

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/12/an-uncompromising-look-at-the-dominos-pizza-tracker/

Can You Patent Pretending To Let Customers Know Their Online Ordered Pizza Is In The Oven?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Nolan points us to an amusing article
| trying to dig into some questions over
| whether or not Domino's "patent pending"
| pizza tracker is real. Launched a little
| over two years ago, apparently, if you
| order a pizza from Domino's online, it
| takes you to a website where it alerts you
| in real-time to the status of your pizza:
| is it in the oven, has it been put in a
| box, is it on its way, etc. Domino's was
| quite proud of the fact it had filed a
| patent for the technology, but there have
| been some concerns about whether the
| technology is real, or if it's just a
| pretty flash animation connected to nothing
| in reality.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100315/0058408555.shtml

Pat Lit Weekly: FedEx Sends Scott Harris Patent Packing

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, Harris's patents have been
| used to sue a wide range of companies,
| including Dell, FedEx, Motorola, and
| Google. The Harris patent that had
| progressed furthest towards trial, No.
| 6,666,377, is controlled by BarTex Research
| LLC, a patent-holding company that filed an
| infringement suit against FedEx in the
| Eastern District of Texas two weeks after
| it was formed there. In the company's
| complaint, BarTex lawyers at the Chicago
| patent boutique Niro, Scavone, Haller &
| Niro claim that the existence of the '377
| patent, which covers bar code-scanning
| technology, means FedEx should make the
| holding company a royalty payment on every
| package it ships.
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2010/03/bartex-research-v-fedex.html

The Black Art Of Getting A Bogus Patent Approved

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100330/0241388782.shtml

Careful What You Wish For: Greater IP Enforcement In China Being Used Against Foreign Companies...

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out that was just the beginning.
| Joe Mullin points us to a story about how
| there have been a series of recent patent
| and trademark rulings in Chinese courts all
| of which appear to be going against large
| multinational companies and in favor of
| Chinese companies.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100312/1843418546.shtml

The world and its dog get sued over encryption

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pacid Group alleged that Asus, Samsung,
| Sony, Sony Ericsson, Fujitsu, LG, Gigabyte,
| GBT, MSI, Motorola, Research in Motion,
| Nikon, Microsoft, Nintendo, HTC and Palm
| breached US patent number 5,963,646 and
| another patent 6,049,612.
`----

http://www.techeye.net/business/the-world-and-its-dog-get-sued-over-encryption

Bunch Of Companies Sued Over Encryption Patents

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100407/1004078912.shtml

Apple Wins Patents for iChat, iDVD, Virtual Keyboard & Multi-Touch

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/07/hacker-says-hes-got-linux-on-the-ps3-again/

Patent Litigation Weekly: DataTreasury Wins First Patent Trial, Against U.S. Bank

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2010/04/datatreasury-v-usbank-verdict.html

Infamous Check Scanning Patents, That Senators Tried To Bury, Wins First Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple years ago, there was a really
| sleazy move by some Senators to try to
| exempt banks from lawsuits brought by a
| company called DataTreasury, who held a
| patent on a method for scanning checks. The
| only purpose for this legal change was so
| that banks could avoid having to deal with
| patent infringement threats and lawsuits
| for doing something as basic as
| automatically scanning their checks. What
| we couldn't understand is why the Senators
| would single out two specific patents to be
| ignored, rather than trying to actually fix
| the patent system. Well, actually, it
| wasn't hard to figure out: the Senators
| were trying to do the banks (the same ones
| they were about to bail out) a big favor --
| and doing real patent reform is difficult.
| Anyway, that story got some publicity and
| it forced the Senators to back down, so
| that specific "exemption" never made it
| through to being law.

Saint Tim Berners-Lee