[News] Amazon Estimates Worth of GNU/Linux Installation/Partition @ $100

  • Subject: [News] Amazon Estimates Worth of GNU/Linux Installation/Partition @ $100
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:17:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PlayStation 3 Owner Gets A $100 Refund For Losing Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| At least one PlayStation 3 owner has found
| the silver lining in Sony's decision to axe
| the option to install other operating
| systems like Linux to the console,
| obtaining a rather substantial refund from
| Amazon.com for his PS3 purchase.
`----

http://kotaku.com/5512880/playstation-3-owner-gets-a-100-refund-for-losing-linux

Amazon gives PS3 refunds for Linux removal

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon is apparently offering refunds to
| customers who bought a PS3 and who are
| embittered about the loss of Linux support
| in the latest official firmware, which is
| required to play some games.
|
| The news comes from PlayStation University,
| who report that at least one customer is
| confirmed to have got a full refund on his
| PlayStation 3 by referencing European
| Directive 1999/44/EC.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/09/amazon-gives-ps3-refunds-for-linux-removal/1

PS3 Owner Refunded (Without Return) for Missing Other OS

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-owner-refunded-without-return-for-missing-other-os-3555/

PS3 Owner Gets $100 Rebate for Losing Linux

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PS3-playstation-Linux-Rebate-Amazon,10140.html

GNU/Linux is said to be coming to the PS3 Slim too, via hacks.

Recent:

Purported hack brings Linux back to the PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony PlayStation 3 owners who held off on
| updating their systems in order to keep
| from losing the option to install alternate
| operating systems have a new glimmer of
| hope. Hacker George Hotz (a.k.a Geohot) has
| released a video of a new hack that
| promises to keep the alternate OS install
| feature, even with the 3.21 firmware update
| that was released last week.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20001962-248.html

Playstation 3 Update locks out Linux and Ubuntu, bricks consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| Opting to not download the update bars the
| user from accessing the Playstation Store,
| playing games online or playing any games
| or Blu-ray movies that require the 3.21
| update to function.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Playstation-3-Update-locks-out-Linux-and-Ubuntu-bricks-consoles

x86 Server Standardization Does Not Equate to OS Pluralization

,----[ Quote ]
| And now, as of April 1, you'll have a hard
| time finding Linux running on one
| particular high performance computing (HPC)
| platform -- Sony's PlayStation3. Since its
| launch, the original version of the games
| console has had the ability to run another
| OS as well as the gaming platform on its
| processor (although the newer "slim" models
| couldn't). A new version of Sony's PS3
| firmware released in late March removed the
| option to run Linux on the PS3 once and for
| all.
|
| Why would anyone want to run Linux on a
| PS3? As it happens, the PS3 is a pretty
| powerful beast with an IBM Cell BE
| processor at its heart. It runs Linux like
| a bat out of hell. The consoles are dead
| cheap because Sony subsidizes them, hoping
| to make money on the sale of games and
| extras. More to the point, you can link
| large numbers of PS3s to build a low-cost
| supercomputer cluster. That's why the U.S.
| military announced last November that it
| planned to increase the power of an
| existing 336 PS3 HPC cluster by buying a
| further 2,200 of the consoles, according to
| Ars Technica. Compared to buying IBM Cell
| blades there's a ten-fold price/performance
| advantage in using PS3s, according to a
| "Justification Review Document" quoted in
| the piece.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3874991/x86-Server-Standardization-Does-Not-Equate-to-OS-Pluralization.htm

Custom firmware on PS3, Linux on Slims? GeoHot fights back

,----[ Quote ]
| Noted iPhone and PlayStation 3 hacker
| George Hotz, or GeoHot, told the gaming
| community not to update their systems until
| he was able to release custom firmware
| allowing them to continue using their Linux
| partitions, and it looks as if he's close
| to his goal. A new video posted today shows
| the hack, although a release date hasn't
| been given for the rest of us to download
| his work.
|
| "This can be installed without having to
| open up your PS3, just by restoring a
| custom generated PUP file, but only from
| 3.15 or previous," he writes. "It's
| possible this CFW will also work on the
| slim to actually enable OtherOS; I'll
| know when my infectus gets here."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/04/custom-firmware-on-ps3-linux-on-slims-geohot-fights-back.ars

Sony PS3 hack brings Linux back

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony-bating hacker GeoHot reckons he can
| restore the ability to run Linux on Sony's
| flagship console, despite the fact that the
| company has removed the functionality.
|
| A recent firmware upgrade to version 3.21
| killed the 'Install Other OS' option in fat
| versions of the console's operating system,
| angering academics and hackers alike.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/8/sony-ps3-hack-brings-linux-back/

Geohot Brings Linux Back To The PS3

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/geohot-brings-linux-back-to-the-ps3-08-04-2010/

The hacker geohot re install Linux firmware 3.21 on PS3

http://whitehatfirm.com/news/the-hacker-geohot-re-install-linux-firmware-3-21-on-ps3/2209.html

Linux support restored to PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| As no surprise to anyone, someone has
| figured out how to restore Linux support
| once again.
`----

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18379/1/

PS3 Install Other OS feature back thanks to hack

http://www.t3.com/news/ps3-install-other-os-feature-back-thanks-to-hack?=44641

Hacker says heâs got Linux on the PS3 again

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/07/hacker-says-hes-got-linux-on-the-ps3-again/

Sony Deletes Feature On PS3's; You Don't Own What You Thought You Bought

,----[ Quote ]
| It used to be when you bought a product, you
| owned it. Simple, right? And once you owned
| it, you could do what you want with it? But,
| lately, thanks to digital products and an
| always connected world, many companies have
| changed things around -- so the products you
| thought you owned, you actually rent.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100331/0128358800.shtml

Sony's PS3 Drops Linux; Why You Should Care

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ps3-playstation-3-linux-john-carmack,10035.html