[News] TurboHercules and Microsoft (and How IBM Was Provoked)

  • Subject: [News] TurboHercules and Microsoft (and How IBM Was Provoked)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:29:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[Older:] Mainframe emulator goes commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| TurboHercules is co-headquartered in Paris,
| France, where Bowler moved after he left
| the United Kingdom, and in Seattle,
| Washington, in close proximity to the one
| big software company that has in the past
| taken a shining to anything that gave Big
| Blue some grief, particularly with
| mainframes. (Yes, we mean Microsoft).
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/25/turbohercules_goes_commercial/

IBM vs. TurboHercules: Our story thus far...

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/IBM-vs.-TurboHercules-Our-story-thus-far

IBM: Open Sourceâs Friend or Foe?

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/04/06/ibm-open-sources-friend-or-foe/

IBM says it won't sue to protect open-source patents

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9175058/IBM_says_it_won_t_sue_to_protect_open_source_patents_

â When Reptiles Attack: Has IBM Tired Of FOSS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the temptation to believe that some
| companies are unequivocal supporters of
| free and open source software, we should
| never forget that all for-profit companies
| are actually reptiles, acting instinctively
| on behalf of their shareholders and not
| acting on the basis of intellectual or
| philosophical insight. An expression of
| support will inevitably be a statement by a
| group of people within the company,
| motivated by a business activity. It will
| have been made in the context of a set of
| tensions between different priorities and
| with other groups of people in the same
| company. It will be the direction instinct
| has been steered by the availability of
| âfoodâ and the presence of âthreatâ.  Every
| expression of support â or act of
| aggression â needs to be seen in that
| light.
|
| An important part of my job at Sun was to
| monitor actions they took that affected
| communities. I monitored the flow of
| requests to use and release open source
| code, ran the Ombudsman service so that I
| was first to hear of community issues, and
| acted as a (mostly!) âtrusted friendâ to
| Sunâs legal staff prior to any action they
| took. At regular intervals throughout my
| five year tenure, I spoke up for
| communities and ensured that the actions
| taken in Sunâs name were not harmful to a
| community or Sunâs FOSS reputation. On some
| occasions I even had to request executive
| back-up for my position, in effect
| requesting a veto power.
|
| Regardless of the merits of IBMâs case
| against TurboHercules, the fact the
| incident has happened at all is an
| important signal. I canât for a moment
| believe this is the first time since IBMâs
| patent pledge that any part of the company
| has wanted to act against a community
| participant. We can see the tension between
| the statement Dan Frye makes through the
| Linux Foundation and the statement of
| another IBM spokesperson in the WSJ
| attempting to say the Pledge doesnât apply
| to everyone. To hazard a guess, the
| competition is now characterised by Google
| â a huge user of and contributor to open
| source software â instead of IBMâs old
| foes, Microsoft and Solaris.
`----

http://webmink.com/2010/04/08/reptile-attack/

Is IBM splitting hairs with open source?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/08/is-ibm-splitting-hairs-with-open-source/