[News] [Rival] Yahoo! Becomes More Like a Microsoft Department After Proxy Fight

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Yahoo! Becomes More Like a Microsoft Department After Proxy Fight
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:32:04 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Exclusive: Yahoo Eyes Ex-Microsoft Exec Blake Irving for Top Product and Tech
Job; CTO Balogh to Leave

,----[ Quote ]
| According to numerous sources, Yahoo has been
| seriously courting former Microsoft exec Blake
| Irving to take over as one of its key execs,
| running its product organization and
| essentially becoming the Internet âvisionaryâ
| many think the company lacks.
`----

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20100408/exclusive-yahoo-eyes-ex-microsoft-exec-blake-irving-for-top-product-and-tech-job/

Yahoo CTO Balogh To Leave; Replacement To Be Named In âComing Weeksâ

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-yahoo-cto-balogh-to-leave-replacement-to-be-named-in-coming-weeks/

Recent:

Does Icahn Still Make Them Tremble?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the spring of 2008, Roy J. Bostock, the
| chairman of Yahoo, and his fellow directors
| were coming under a barrage of criticism
| from investors after Microsoft abruptly
| broke off merger talks.
|
| [...]
|
| Mr. Icahn said that while his firm did not
| make money in Yahoo, it was supportive in
| bringing on board Carol A. Bartz, the
| companyâs C.E.O., and instrumental in
| eventually forging an Internet search and
| advertising partnership with Microsoft. As
| for the criticism from Mr. Jackson that his
| methods do not work, Mr. Icahn said, âTo
| say that we donât add value is absurd.â
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/does-icahn-still-make-them-tremble/

Google China move puts pressure on Microsoft, Yahoo

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0325/Google-China-move-puts-pressure-on-Microsoft-Yahoo

Icahn's Influence Fading From Yahoo's Board

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201003231842dowjonesdjonline000490&title=icahns-influence-fading-from-yahoos-board

Yet Another Yahoo Director To Leave

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo (NSDQ: YHOO) CEO Carol Bartz now has
| a third board seat she can fill. John
| Chapple, the president of PE firm Hawkeye
| Investments (and the former CEO of Nextel)
| wonât stand for re-election in order âto
| devote more time to his other business
| interests.â
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-yet-another-yahoo-director-to-leave/

Yahooâs Revolving Door: Chief Technologist Leaves For Benchmark Capital

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-yahoos-revolving-door-chief-technologist-quits/

Carl Icahn Cuts Yahoo Stake By 80 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, then, Icahn doesn't intend to go on
| the attack against Carol Bartz and the current
| board, which might be good news for Yahoo.
| Optimists could interpret Icahn's move as a
| sign of contentment.  (Or perhaps he managed to
| reap some profits at one point.)
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/02/15/carl-icahn-cuts-yahoo-stake-by-80-percent

Yahoo! Microsoft! deal! delayed!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo! has told the Securities and Exchange
| Commission that it needs more time to sort
| out its search deal with Microsoft.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/29/yahoo_microsoft_delayed/

Microsoft, Yahoo Miss Agreement Deadline

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo admitted yesterday in an SEC filing,
| "The Letter Agreement specified that the
| parties would execute Definitive Agreements
| by October 27, 2009, but given the complex
| nature of the transaction, there remain some
| details to be finalized.  The parties are
| working diligently on finalizing the
| agreements, have made good progress to date,
| and have agreed to execute the agreements as
| expeditiously as possible."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/10/29/microsoft-yahoo-miss-agreement-deadline

Carl Icahn, CIT and Goldman Sachs

,----[ Quote ]
| Sooo. We have Carl Icahn offering to bail
| out CIT. We have Goldman Sachs suing Carl
| Icahn over a an entirely different matter.
| We have Goldman looking to profit from a CIT
| collapse. We have Mr. Icahn in a similar
| position, but in a more stealth kind of way.
`----

http://missmarketcrash.blogspot.com/2009/10/carl-icahn-cit-and-goldman-sachs.html

4th UPDATE: Icahn Offers To Underwrite $6 Billion Loan To CIT

,----[ Quote ]
| In May 2008, for instance, he launched a proxy
| fight to unseat Yahoo Inc.'s (YHOO) board after
| that wobbly web portal rejected a takeover by
| Microsoft...
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091019-712989.html

Yahoo feeling the Microsoft nudge

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo shares edged up Tuesday as analysts and the company's own major
| shareholder and director Carl Icahn said they longed for the Internet search
| pioneer to entertain a search-only deal with Microsoft.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10082321-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Icahn Says Yahoo Should Do Search Deal With Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Billionaire investor and Yahoo Inc. (YHOO) board member Carl Icahn on Monday
| reiterated his position that the Internet giant should consider striking a
| search agreement with rival Microsoft Corp. (MSFT).
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200811031831DOWJONESDJONLINE000597_FORTUNE5.htm

Minorities and Corn Growers Rise Against Google-Yahoo.

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft funded PR firm is backing an odd collection of "community" groups
| against cooperation between Google and Yahoo. If Justice is blind, they
| should have a hard time blocking anything.
`----

http://slashdot.org/~twitter/journal/202702

Google-Yahoo! collects some strange enemies

,----[ Quote ]
| The 16 groups wrote to Assistant Attorney General Thomas Barnett, warning
| that such mega-mergers usually work to the detriment of consumers and
| minority groups. It was Barnett who warned that European antitrust action
| against Microsoft might chill innovation and discourage competition.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/12/everyone_against_google_yahoo/

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]