[News] European Interoperability Framework 2 (EIFv2) Changed Further, Still Injured by Microsoft Lobbyists

  • Subject: [News] European Interoperability Framework 2 (EIFv2) Changed Further, Still Injured by Microsoft Lobbyists
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:35:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

European Interoperability Framework 2: New Draft

,----[ Quote ]
| That's clearly an improvement on the previous
| version. For example, the whole ridiculous
| notion of an âopenness continuumâ has gone.
| And weak phrases like âInteroperability
| involves the sharing of information and
| knowledge between organisations, hence implies
| a certain degree of openness. There are
| varying degrees of openness.â have become the
| stronger âInteroperability involves the
| sharing of information and knowledge between
| interacting organisations, hence implies
| openness.â
|
| On the down side, this remains worryingly
| vague and woolly. What exactly is this
| âopennessâ? It sets a far lower bar than the
| original EIF document, which was highly
| specific...
|
| [...]
|
| To summarise, the latest draft is certainly
| better than the previous one, which was a
| travesty in many respects. As such, it is to
| be welcomed. But we should be making absolute
| advances with interoperability at this stage,
| not relative ones. The current draft is
| certainly one step forward from the previous
| one, but that was two steps back from the
| original, so the net effect remains negative.
| Frankly, that's not acceptable, and is
| evidence that the European Commission is
| backtracking in this important area. That
| doesn't augur well for the imminent Digital
| Agenda.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2894&blogid=14

Recent:

Digital Agenda - letter to the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| April publishes a letter to the European
| Commission supporting Commissioner Neelie
| Kroes' approach in favor of open standards
| and interoperability in the digital
| agenda.
|
| At the European level, open standards and
| interoperability are endangered and could
| disappear from European Union's digital
| policy agenda. Neelie Kroes, European
| Commissioner in charge of Digital Strategy
| (and former European Commissioner for
| Competition), is currently drafting the
| agenda for Europe's digital policy.
|
| [...]
|
| These pressures come within a context in
| which proprietary software lobbies,
| Microsoft at their head, are trying to
| revise downward the open standard
| definition. See especially "EIF 2.0:
| lettres ouvertes à la Commission
| europÃenne pour sauvegarder
| l'interopÃrabilitÃ".
`----

http://www.april.org/en/digital-agenda-letter-european-commission

Related:

Dedication to Open Source and Open Standards Threatened in Leaked EU EIF Document

,----[ Quote ]
| The Foundation for a Free Information
| Infrastructure offers ten recommendations
| for improving the EIF version 2 and
| preserving "a strong definition of 'open
| standards and specifications' in a way that
| patent cartels do not qualify for the gold
| standard."
|
| These ten recommendations are:
|
|    1. Align the EIF 2.0 with the new General
|    Principles from the Interoperability
|    Solutions for European Public
|    Administrations (ISA) document, which
|    calls for technological neutrality and
|    adaptability, openness, reusability,
|    privacy and personal protection of data
|    and security.
|    2. Improve interoperability terminology
|    to once again align with the ISA's
|    definition rather than the new watered
|    down one.
|    3. Market Order and public constituency
|    by creating better functioning markets
|    with increased interoperability.
|    4. Deletion of Chapter 3 and its empty
|    talk.
|    5. Administrative principles such as not
|    tasking public administration with
|    lobbying for political support of
|    interoperability efforts.
|    6. Avoid capture and dilution of interest
|    with weak phrases and definitions.
|    7. Adjust to public administrative needs.
|    8. Open standards, not open concepts, by
|    reinstating the proper definition of open
|    standards.
|    9. Open assessment and continuum to allow
|    government bodies to assess where an
|    offering falls on the "openness
|    continuum".
|   10. Problem-oriented approach by focusing
|   on identifying and solving
|   interoperability problems.
|
| Other Organizations Speak Out
|
| Other organizations have also expressed
| their strong concerns, such as the OW2
| Consortium and the Open Source Software
| Thematic Group.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-cms/dedication-to-open-source-and-open-standards-threatened-in-leaked-eu-eif-document-006325.php

Eurocrats face proprietary FUD attack

,----[ Quote ]
| A European Commission effort to move the continent toward open standards is
| being threatened by Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) from a group favoring
| proprietary solutions.
|
| [...]
|
| Clear out the rhetoric and Zuck is saying that monopolies created by patents,
| and only such monopolies, allow technology to move forward, and that a regime
| that truly demands open standards is an attempt to âimpose one business model
| over another.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4490

Complaints against EU open source agenda may overlook a policy breakthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| A European Commission policy review white paper released last week (PDF
| available here) was brought to light in the US this week by virtue of a
| comment from its most vocal opposition. Yesterday, press sources including
| IDG's Paul Meller quoted the Association for Competitive Technology's
| Jonathan Zuck as taking sides -- not surprisingly -- against the white paper,
| accusing the EC of bias in favor of open source software producers over
| commercial manufacturers.
|
| "We remain concerned that the policy framework suggested in the white paper
| seems to favor open source software over proprietary software to achieve more
| interoperability," reads another citation of Zuck's statement. Ironically,
| Zuck's ACT Web site from which the statement originated appeared to be the
| victim of a crash in its open source asset management system this morning, so
| only second-hand citations of Zuck were available today.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Complaints-against-EU-open-source-agenda-may-overlook-a-policy-breakthrough/1246985525

Peeping Larry

,----[ Quote ]
| That wasn't enough for Ellison. Oracle retained Washington-based
| Investigative Group International to probe the pro-Microsoft spinners in the
| antitrust battle. I.G.I. hit pay dirt. Oracle says that in the trash of the
| Independent Institute--which took out pro-Microsoft ads signed by leading
| academics--investigators found evidence that Microsoft had given the group
| more than $200,000. (The Independent Institute insists its positions have
| been unaffected by any support from Microsoft.)
`----

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,49039,00.html

Oracle-MS flap -- how it happened

,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
| friend-of-the-court brief on Microsoft's behalf, using a team of prestigious
| former government lawyers. Oracle's Washington team viewed the move as
| outrageous, given the probability that the brief would be paid for with money
| from Microsoft itself. In April, Oracle told IGI to look into ACT.
|
| Soon yet another player surfaced: the National Taxpayers Union. It had long
| been publicly criticizing a suit against Microsoft by state attorneys general
| as "government-led larceny of Microsoft's intellectual property." In mid-May,
| as the group renewed its attacks on the government, Oracle again suspected
| the hidden hand of its software foe. Once again, it dispatched IGI, which
| promptly went trash-hunting. IGI discovered that the National Taxpayers Union
| had received more than $200,000 from Microsoft. That information surfaced in
| The Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post in May.
|
| [...]
|
| It was trash-hunting at ACT, however, that ultimately brought Oracle's
| entanglement to light. For that, Oracle can thank Robert M. Walters and a
| conscientious cleaning crew.
|
| In May, Walters, an amiable former journalist who was IGI's chief
| anti-Microsoft detective, leased an office near ACT's Washington offices. He
| used his own name but identified himself as an official of "Upstream
| Technologies."
|
| [...]
|
| Walters also paid $4,445 to lease the office space near ACT using a check
| drawn on his personal bank account, according to records obtained by the
| Journal. And he used the telephone in the Upstream office to call his home
| and his wife at her office. Those calls later were easily traced because they
| were routed through the building's computerized phone system. Together, these
| steps bore the mark of a detective who appeared not particularly worried
| about covering his true identity. In June of 1999, Washington lobbyists for
| software giant Oracle Corp. grew dismayed by the skill with which Oracle's
| bitterest rival, Microsoft Corp., seemed to be manipulating public opinion.
| As Microsoft faced the antitrust fight of its life, a group called the
| Independent Institute bought full-page newspaper ads citing 240 academics who
| criticized the government's antitrust attack on Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| It wasn't long before IGI produced results: Internal documents showing that
| Microsoft had paid Independent Institute, based in Oakland, Calif., $153,000.
| Independent Institute President David Theroux suspects that information was
| stolen. People familiar with the operation, however, intimate that it was
| obtained by rifling through trash, a practice that isn't illegal. IGI
| Chairman Terry Lenzner said Wednesday that his firm "abides by a rigorous
| code of ethics and conducts all of its investigations in a lawful manner,"
| and that its work for Oracle "was conducted in strict accordance with these
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-96149.html

EU open-source document reflects Microsoft influence

,----[ Quote ]
| One such editor is Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for
| Competitive Technology, a lobbying organization with strong ties to
| Microsoft. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft making its voice heard in
| the software strategy development process, as it stands to gain or lose much
| in the process, but it does make for some interesting political gamesmanship
| in the document.
|
| While the draft doesn't make it obvious who is saying what, there are
| numerous instances where editors have tried to soften the appeal of open
| source or downplay its significance, repeatedly trying to insist that open
| source not be called out as more significant than proprietary software.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10193433-16.html

How to Hijack an EU Open Source Strategy Paper

,----[ Quote ]
| Others as in Microsoft and mates.
|
| All-in-all, the modifications to the document provide a fascinating insight
| into how lobbyists operate in their attempt to neuter threats to their
| constituencies through the shameless evisceration and outright inversion of
| content. Fortunately, when the final strategy document comes out, we will be
| able to pinpoint exactly where ACT's agenda has been inserted. Of course,
| before then we need to make the above document as widely known as possible,
| so that the relevant people at the European Union are aware of what's going
| on, and maybe even take action to prevent this gross distortion of the
| paper's purpose.
|
| In addition, we must ensure that Wikileaks can continue to provide its
| invaluable service. The world of openness â including open source - would be
| the poorer without it. To that end, we need to support its current call for
| funds to help it carry on its work, and I urge you to make a donation,
| however modest.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-hijack-eu-open-source-strategy-paper

European Commission OSS Strategy Draft, Mar 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| This file is an edited version of the EU OSS Strategy draft with the input of
| Jonathan Zuck, President of the Association for Competitive Technology, an
| organisation that has strong ties with Microsoft[1]
|
| The file is a draft for an expert panel formed by the European Commission.
| This panel is divided into workgroup (IPR, Open Source, digital life, etc.)
| ACT and Comptia have been infiltrating every workgroup, even the one on Open
| Source (WG 7). They are doing the best they can to drown any initiative that
| would not only promote OSS in Europe but also that could help Europe create a
| sucessful European software sector.
|
| The audience for this document could be journalists who would be interested
| in getting to know more how lobbies of all kind influence the European
| institutions. Here it is perhaps even more stringent as ACT is clearly an US
| organization with ties to Microsoft. Verifications might not be easy as this
| is an internal draft. The best contact might be commission personnel:
| Lars.PEDERSEN@xxxxxxxxxxxx ; Michel.Lacroix@xxxxxxxxxxxx
|
| It has been leaked as it is important to have the public know how actual
| policy making is being influenced by lobbies that are precisely under the
| legal scrutiny of the European Commission. The urgency of the publication of
| this document is real in the sense that outside pressure would foce the
| Commission to "clean the committees" or at least give a lesser credit to the
| work of this workgroup.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/European_Commission_OSS_Strategy_Draft%2C_Mar_2009

Microsoft gains familiar ally in IE antitrust battle in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. gained a familiar ally in its latest antitrust battle with
| the European Commission today when the Association for Competitive Technology
| (ACT) was accepted as an interested third party in the case.
|
| [...]
|
| Washington-based ACT, whose members include Microsoft, Oracle, eBay and
| dozens of smaller companies, stood by Microsoft in an earlier European
| antitrust case that resulted in the software vendor being found guilty of
| monopoly abuse in 2004. The group made passionate arguments in favor of
| Microsoft during hearings held by the EC and the appeals process at the
| European Court of First Instance in Luxembourg.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131834

ACT backs Microsoft in Brussels' IE legal spat

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/21/act_supports_ie_eu_case/