[News] Hardware Company Thrives with GNU/Linux on Desktops

  • Subject: [News] Hardware Company Thrives with GNU/Linux on Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:59:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Compiz Fusion and Chaos Built a Linux Hardware Company

,----[ Quote ]
| This love-of-Ubuntu turned into a search for
| Ubuntu-only hardware which turned into me
| founding a Linux-only hardware company in
| early 2007. Through ZaReason I have had the
| delightful opportunity to customize keyboards
| with Ubuntu or Tux on the Start key and
| subsequently ask other companies, "Um, does
| your Ubuntu laptop have a Windows logo on the
| Start key? How odd..." I have had the rush of
| enthusiasm when a customer in our first year
| sent us an extensive (and I mean extensive)
| price list of how our computers compared to
| other vendors, showing us where we were doing
| well and where we needed to improve. I have a
| wall of love letters showing my builders, my
| brilliant, wildly intelligent builders that
| they are on the right path, doing great work
| for real people, not just order numbers.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7035/1/

Dear XM Radioâ

http://attaboy.tommydoc.net/?p=2042

Linux and the Dialup Modem

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the interesting things I've been
| working with of late in the Linux world is
| trying to get a computer to connect to the
| internet with a dialup modem.  I myself
| haven't had to dialup to the internet for
| the better part of 8 years, what with
| having DSL myself.  However, about 35% of
| the US has to use dialup in one form or
| another.  And in other countries it can be
| as high as 95%.
|
| And yes, there are efforts to send dialup
| to a cold, dark grave in the next five
| years.  However, I don't think it ever will
| die.  Yes, it'll be greatly reduced, and
| may fall to as little as 5% of the
| population who are using it, but it will
| remain a staple of daily internet access
| for at least some slice of the population
| for years to come.  Therefore, I ask this
| interesting question.  Why doesn't Linux do
| a better job of supporting dialup modems?
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/linux_and_the_dialup_modem/

Recent:

ZaReason Teo - netbook with installed Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Company ZaReason introduced 10-inch netbook
| called Teo. The model possesses quite
| standard for devices of its class
| characteristics. It is equipped with 10-
| inch screen with a resolution of 1024x600
| pixels and is based on Intel Atom N450
| processor with a clock speed of 1.66 GHz.
| Also "on board" ZaReason Teo - Integrated
| Intel GMA 3150 graphics, 2 GB of RAM and
| hard disk 160 GB (it is worth noting that
| the amount of memory larger than normal for
| netbooks 1 GB). Communication possibilities
| Teo presented 10/100 Ethernet and Wi-Fi
| 802.11 b / g / n.
`----

http://it-chuiko.com/computers/3002-zareason-teo-netbook-with-installed-ubuntu.html

ZaReason Teo

,----[ Quote ]
| The ZaReason Teo, that I just discovered on
| Amazon.com, looks like the successor of the
| Terra A20, which was the first netbook by
| ZaReason, who build laptops, desktops, and
| servers running Ubuntu Linux or
| derivatives.
`----

http://www.linux-netbook.com/zareason-teo

ZaReason Teo: Pine Trail netbook with an Ubuntu Linux twist

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/03/zareason-teo-pine-trail-netbook-with-an-ubuntu-linux-twist.html