[News] Open Access Changes Everything, Makes a "Revolution"

  • Subject: [News] Open Access Changes Everything, Makes a "Revolution"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:05:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU KLEMS Growth and Productivity Accounts

,----[ Quote ]
| The November 2009 release is an update of
| the March 2008 release. It provides data up
| to 2007, but for a limited set of variables
| and industries (32 instead of 72
| industries).
`----

http://www.euklems.net/index.html

Talkin' about a revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| There is news for subscribers of the open-
| source school who have been waiting for the
| day when tax-funded research will be freely
| accessible by all â mountain is about to
| come to Mohammed a la MIT open courseware.
| And the ministry of human resources
| development (MHRD) has chosen design
| education to test the waters.
`----

http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_talkin-about-a-revolution_1369507

Volunteers create new digital maps

,----[ Quote ]
| "A lot of people thought 'garbage in;
| garbage out' â if you only had the ordinary
| Joe on the street contributing data, you'd
| get bad data," said Steve Coast, who
| founded OpenStreetMap as a university
| student in Britain in 2004 when he couldn't
| find any open-source digital map data, and
| decided to go out and map Regent's Park in
| London himself. "And in fact, it's much
| better data."
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14856802?nclick_check=1

Open Source Spying: 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2006, Clive Thompson wrote in a
| watershed New York Times Magazine article
| âBillions of dollarsâ worth of ultrasecret
| data networks couldnât help spies piece
| together the clues to the worst terrorist
| plot ever. So perhaps, they argue, itâs
| time to try something radically different.
| Could blogs and wikis prevent the next
| 9/11?â (Open-Source Spying) At the Gov 2.0
| Expo, Clive Thompson will discuss the
| progress made in the Intelligence Community
| since that 2006 with Matthew Burton, Chris
| Rasmussen, and Lewis Shepherd.
`----

http://www.gov2expo.com/gov2expo2010/public/schedule/detail/14809/?cmp=em-conf-g2ex10-int-list-EM4-gxp10emp69

Recent:

Two Million Free Texts Now Available

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet Archive is pleased to
| announce an important manuscript,
| Homiliary on Gospels from Easter to first
| Sunday of Advent, as the 2,000,000th free
| digital text. Internet Archive has been
| scanning books and making them available
| for researchers, historians, scholars,
| people with disabilities, and the general
| public for free on archive.org since 2005.
`----

http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=300273

Video: Staying in touch with nature by sharing.

http://opensource.com/business/10/2/video-staying-touch-nature-sharing

Forget Avatar, the real 3D revolution is coming to your front room

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if increased business
| opportunities were only the beginning?
| What if 3D printing actually changed lives
| not just for entrepreneurs but for
| consumers, for citizens? Adrian Bowyer is
| a senior lecturer at the department of
| mechanical engineering at the University
| of Bath. Since 2005 he has been working on
| the Reprap, a project with a clear aim: to
| make a 3D printer that can reproduce
| itself.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/04/3d-printing-design

New strategy for Internet Archive movies!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://internetarchive.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/new-strategy-for-internet-archive-movies/