[News] Google Offers Support for Ogg, Apple Cans Flash

  • Subject: [News] Google Offers Support for Ogg, Apple Cans Flash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:18:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Interesting times for Video on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| If I told you that Google had helped fund
| an ARM code optimised version of the Theora
| video codec, most peopleâs reaction would
| be immediately to skip forward to the next
| blog entry. Audio and video codecs are the
| classic example of things that no one cares
| about, until they donât work.
|
| Ask most computer users what their
| preferred video codec is and theyâll look
| at you as if you asked what sort of motor
| theyâd prefer in their washing machine. âWe
| just want it to work!â they say. In this
| regard, itâs exactly the same for content
| creators and publishers. Every visitor to a
| website that canât view a video is one set
| of eyeballs less for a message to get
| through to. It doesnât matter how clever
| the advertising is, how much time is spent
| honing the message or how many clever viral
| tricks are deployed to attract surfers to
| the site, the moment the page opens up with
| a big blank box where the content should
| be, all that has been in vain.
|
| [...]
|
| Fortunately, there is some good news in the
| form of HTML 5. This new version of HTML
| (the basic language used to write webpages)
| introduces a video element.
`----

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/04/interesting-times-for-video-on-web.html

Apple Slaps Developers In The Face

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that Apple would make such a
| hostile and despicable move like this
| clearly shows the difference between our
| two companies.
`----

http://theflashblog.com/?p=1888

Recent:

Get Prepared for the HTML5 Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| In many ways, HTML5 is an attempt to bring
| order to many of the features and behaviors
| that have become the norm in recent years.
| This section highlights some of the more
| compelling additions.
`----

http://wdvl.com/Authoring/HTML/5/Jason_Gilmore04062010.html

FSFE and FFII to Radio Station Winners: "rOGG on"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/FSFE-and-FFII-to-Radio-Station-Winners-rOGG-on