[News] Copyrights Under Scrutiny Again

Digital decay and the archival cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Up to now, there has been one
| characteristic of digital recordings that
| has provided an important counterweight to
| the fragility of digital media - it's what
| Bollacker refers to as "data promiscuity."
| Because it's easy to make copies of digital
| files, we've tended to make a lot of them.
| The proliferation of perfect digital copies
| has provided an important safeguard against
| the loss of data. An MP3 of even a
| moderately popular song will, for instance,
| exist on many thousands of computer hard
| drives as well as on many thousands of
| iPods, CDs, and other media. The more
| copies that are made of a recording, and
| the more widely the copies are dispersed,
| the more durable that recording becomes.
`----

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2010/04/digital_decay_a.php

Copyright 1710-2010 âFor the encouragement of learningâ

,----[ Quote ]
| The worldâs first copyright law was passed
| by the English Parliament on 10 April 1710
| as âAn Act for the Encouragement of
| Learningâ.  Its 300th anniversary provides
| a unique opportunity to review copyrightâs
| purposes and principles.  If today we were
| starting from scratch, but with the same
| aim of encouraging learningâ what kind of
| copyright would we want?
`----

http://www.counterpoint-online.org/copyright-1710-2010/

Misguided Outrage At NY Times' Ethicist Over Ethics Of Downloading A Book

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, the situation he was
| discussing was one where the ebooks were
| not even available -- so it wasn't even a
| question of the author losing any money.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100406/1146048898.shtml

Juliet vs. Juliet: Did Someone Forget To Tell Hollywood You Can't Copyright An Idea?

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the only explanation I can come up
| with for the ongoing lawsuit between two
| movie studios over who can make and/or
| release a movie about people seeking advice
| in love by leaving letters at the supposed
| gravestone of Juliet Capulet (of "Romeo &"
| fame). Apparently, two separate studios
| made movies on the topic, and one is suing
| to stop the other from releasing the movie.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100408/0242248934.shtml

More about the Encouragement of Learning

,----[ Quote ]
| And for each book printed, "nine copies
| upon the best paper," were to be reserved
| for "the Royal Library, the Libraries of
| the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge,
| the Libraries of the Four Universities in
| Scotland, the Library of Sion College in
| London, and the Library commonly called the
| Library belonging to the Faculty of
| Advocates at Edinburgh." If delivery of
| books did not take place within ten days
| after receiving a demand from a library,
| the offender was fined five pounds (per
| book).
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002833

More Movies Trying Out Tiered CwF+RtB Support Models

,----[ Quote ]
| The first, pointed out by rosspruden is
| about a Spanish film called The Cosmonaut
| which has a few unique features surrounding
| it. Ross listed them out:
|
|    1. the filmmakers are releasing their
|    work under a CC license to let others
|    mix and reuse their film.
|    2. the film is fully funded from fan
|    donations (so the film never needs to
|    turn a profit)
|    3. profits are generated from sales of
|    scarce goods
|    4. fans are allowed to invest in the
|    project for real financial profit (not
|    virtual profit), which isn't allowed
|    according to SEC regulations (yet)
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100114/0518557751.shtml

First Amendment Based Copyright Misuse

,----[ Quote ]
| We are at a crossroads with respect to the
| under-developed equitable defense of
| copyright misuse. The defense may go the
| way of its sibling, antitrust-based patent
| misuse, which seems to be in a state of
| inevitable decline. Or - if judges accept
| the proposal of this Article â courts could
| reinvigorate the copyright misuse defense
| to better protect First Amendment speech
| that is guaranteed by statute, but that is
| often chilled by copyright holders misusing
| their copyrights to control otherâs speech.

Copyright and wrong

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15868004