[News] [Rival] Microsoft Slips Away in Consoles

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slips Away in Consoles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:54:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Is Letting The Lead Slip Away

,----[ Quote ]
| Now currently in 2010 Microsoft is looking
| like the underdog and may actually be in
| serious trouble going into this years holiday
| season if certain changes aren't made to
| compete against the new Sony Playstation Team.
`----

http://www.gamekicker.com/xbox-360/microsoft-letting-lead-slip-away

Recent:

Victims of Call of Duty crash get Xbox Live credit of about 90 cents

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft posted the enhanced game
| update to the Xbox Live Marketplace on
| March 30, it made a fatal error by making
| the download available before the Call of
| Duty game itself was updated to accept the
| download.
|
| As a result, the game crashed for hours for
| people who legitimately purchased the
| content, while Microsoft struggled to fix
| the problem that it had apparently never
| dealt with before.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/49240-victims-of-call-of-duty-crash-get-xbox-live-credit-of-about-90-c

Xbox 360 Coffin is a Final Resting Place After RRoD

,----[ Quote ]
| These days Microsoft is no longer shipping
| gamers who have a dead Xbox 360 a postage-
| paid cardboard packing box (affectionately
| called the "coffin") for the return of the
| console. While Microsoft still pays for
| shipping both ways, it's up to the console
| owner to provide the packing materials for
| the trip back to the repair center.
`----

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-360-coffin-rrod-warranty,news-6134.html

Nintendo USA president: Our value puts us ahead of Xbox, PS3

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/technology/032410_nintendo.html

Sony Mocks Microsoftâs Natal

http://playstationfeed.com/sony-mocks-microsofts-natal/

Sony mocks Microsoft's Natal

,----[ Quote ]
| Damning with faint praise Tretton said that
| Natal was a âpretty big ideaâ and if
| punters really want to play with a camera
| they might like to buy a $99 PS2 and play
| some of the great technology âwe invented
| eight years ago.â
`----

http://www.techeye.net/hardware/sony-mocks-microsofts-natal

Nintendo Embarrassed to Be Sony, Microsoft

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/wii-xbox-xbox-360-playstation-ps3,news-6195.html

Nintendo: We Would Be Embarrassed To Be Sony, Microsoft [Nintendo CEO Says Their Goal Is To Innovate, Interested In HD But No Wii HD Coming]

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/03/19/nintendo-embarrassed-sony-microsoft-nintendo-ceo-goal-innovate-interested-hd-wii-hd-coming/

Nintendo would be embarassed to do what Sony and Microsoft do

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18091/1/

Nintendo Would Be Embarrassed to Behave Like Sony and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Talking to the Kotaku blog, Reggie Fils-
| Aime, the president of Nintendo of America,
| went on the offensive, saying that âI think
| we would have been embarrassed to do what
| our competitors are currently doing,â
| adding that âall I can tell you is that we
| will innovate. We will provide something
| new. Something that the consumer and the
| industry will look at and say, 'Wow, I
| didn't see that coming'.â
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nintendo-Would-Be-Embarrassed-to-Behave-Like-Sony-and-Microsoft-137577.shtml

PlayStation Move ad mocks Natal, attacks Nintendo Wii

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/playstation-move-ad-mocks-natal-attacks-nintendo-wii.ars

Playstation ad says Project Natal is for third graders

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/48938-playstation-ad-says-project-natal-is-for-third-graders

Which Xbox 360 Red Ring Of Death Fix To Choose - Microsoft or DIY Repair?

http://www.thepress.net/pages/ad_details/listing_details?id=20135598-which-xbox-360-red-ring-of-death-fix-to-choose---microsoft-or-diy-repair

Xbox 360 Red Ring Of Death Fix - Looking For Microsoft Repair Center Phone Number?

http://www.gamekicker.com/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Red-Ring-Of-Death-Fix-Looking-For-Microsoft-Repair-Center-Phone-Number

Need Your Refurbished Xbox 360 Expedited? Call This Number

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18622

Microsoft Responds To Recent Xbox Live Drama

http://www.talkxbox.com/article3699.html

Hard luck with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Many in the gaming community are familiar with
| a common pitfall of the Xbox 360. Gamers know
| the syndrome simply as âthe red rings of
| death.â The issue is common and easily
| remedied, and is a problem that the newest
| generations of Xbox 360s are supposedly free
| of.
|
| So I rested easy after purchasing my 360
| Arcade and a 20-gigabyte hard drive last
| winter, knowing that the folks at Microsoft
| had eliminated this frustrating problem.
|
| Much to my dismay, I recently powered-on my
| system and was greeted with a distressing
| noise. I waited and waited but the system
| never advanced past the logo screen. After 5
| minutes of troubleshooting, the screen flashed
| to black with the words âerror 67â emblazoned
| near the bottom.
|
| Shit, I thought. Red rings of death I can deal
| with, but what is this âerror 67?â This
| experience would lead me to verify what I had
| long suspected: Microsoft isnât as keen on
| satisfying their customers as they may appear
| to be.
`----

http://www.uwmpost.com/2010/02/08/hard-luck-with-microsoft/

Microsoft Losing its Fame

,----[ Quote ]
| Players face a lot of technical errors.
| Microsoft must offer some kind of substitutes
| for their products when they simply stop
| working. Red ring errors can be solved but
| technical errors like âerror 67â is difficult
| to tackle.
`----

http://topnews.us/content/210752-microsoft-losing-its-fame

Microsoft restricting Xbox 360 units from Army because the sale wouldnât give them enough money?

,----[ Quote ]
| Argue if you want, but the Xbox 360 with itâs
| cheap hardware, massive online gameplay and
| options for scenarios, and rather robust
| library of war games means itâs a pretty good
| fit as a training tool for the fine men and
| women training our country. Common sense also
| makes a might appearance. Itâs simple
| actually. Why should the Army spend upwards of
| $1,000 on training computers for each and ever
| soldier if an Xbox 360 can be had for
| significantly less and be used for multiple
| soldiers? Itâs basic math.
`----

http://gadgetsteria.com/2010/02/09/microsoft-restricting-xbox-360-units-from-army-because-the-sale-wouldnt-give-them-enough-money/

PS3 Better Serves Publishers Than 360, says Sony

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-better-serves-publishers-than-360-says-sony/

Sony Bashes Microsoft's "Check Writing" Policy Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's PR strategy in the console war seems to
| be to point out that Microsoft is a devilish,
| top hat-wearing fat cat lording over the
| population with its giant dollar-sign labeled
| sacks of cash.
|
| Back in April, Sony bashed Microsoft for
| purchasing most of its exclusive titles rather
| than creating them, and with the recent
| release of Mass Effect 2 has gone back to
| those same tactics. Rob Dyer, SCEA Senior Vice
| President of Publisher Relations, told
| IndustryGamers that Sony "counters" Xbox 360
| exclusives with its own first-party games,
| which Microsoft simply has no answer to.
`----

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98398-Sony-Bashes-Microsofts-Check-Writing-Policy-Again

Microsoft Sued Over Xbox Live Points

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187861/microsoft_sued_over_xbox_live_points.html

Microsoft Hit with Class Action Over XBox Points

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/01/xbox_points_lawsuit.html

R.I.P., Halo 2 on Xbox Live

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft early this morning delivered some
| bad news to holdouts continuing to use its
| Xbox Live online gaming service to play games
| originally created for its first Xbox. As of
| April 15, the company is discontinuing Xbox
| Live for the original Xbox, according to the
| post by Xbox Live GM Marc Whitten (via
| VentureBeat).
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/02/rip_halo_2_on_xbox_live.html

What Microsoft giveth the Microsoft taketh away? â Xbox Live & Zune issues?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now it appears that as of April 15th 2010,
| fans of old Xbox titles such as Halo 2 will no
| longer be able to play them on Xbox live
| market place. Microsoft (as usual) reports
| this news as if its a good thing (and unless I
| am mistaken Halo 2 is still loved by many)
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/with-microsoft-giveth-the-microsoft-taketh-away-xbox-live-zune-issues/

Microsoft Points Draw Class Action Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A Philadelphia-area attorney has filed a
| class action suit against Microsoft, claiming
| the software maker ripped him off after he
| bought points that were supposed to allow him
| to make purchases over the online Xbox Live
| Marketplace.
|
| Samuel Lassoff, of Horsham, PA, said an
| invoice he received earlier this month from
| Microsoft included charges for purchases he
| couldn't complete due to a balky download
| systemâand he claimed it wasn't an accident.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222400289&subSection=All+Stories

Microsoft, Stop Charging For Other Companiesâ Content On Xbox

,----[ Quote ]
| If your subscription is paid, you can watch
| Netflix for free on your computer, your Blu-
| ray player, your PS3, and soon, your Wii â
| but not on the Xbox 360. Microsoft, itâs time
| to kill the Xbox internet tax
`----

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/01/microsoft-stop-charging-for-other-companies-content-on-xbox/

Microsoft may drop points system from Xbox; Zune too?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/21/xbox.live.and.zune.may.use.real.currency/

Microsoft Points Were Never Meant To "Mislead People"

http://kotaku.com/5453422/microsoft-points-were-never-meant-to-mislead-people

Microsoft Apologises For Points System, May Move To Real Money

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/01/microsoft-apologises-for-points-system-may-move-to-real-money/

box 360 sales tepid, stable in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
`----