[News] [Rival] Microsoft Mail an Absolute Disaster

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Mail an Absolute Disaster
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:36:59 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft, DoIT address student Webmail issues

,----[ Quote ]
| The crash resulted from a Microsoft server
| error that affected schools across the
| U.S., in the United Kingdom and Australia,
| Division of Information Technology Director
| Terry Robb said. The system has experienced
| delays and other issues this semester,
| sometimes leaving students unable to send
| or receive e-mail.
`----

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2010/4/9/microsoft-doit-addresse-student-webmail-issues/

Microsoft Webmail issues unacceptable

,----[ Quote ]
| In fall 2009, students switched to
| Microsoft Outlook Live for student Webmail.
| Not only was there a litany of problems
| during and shortly after students made the
| switch, but Webmail completely shut down
| this week.
|
| Students couldn't check their e-mail Monday
| evening or Tuesday morning due to problems
| with the Microsoft server. The server still
| had issues even after coming back online.
| Some students experienced delays with e-
| mail, and the e-mails of others were still
| offline.
|
| Students faced a slowdown in e-mail
| delivery during February.
|
| [...]
|
| This week's crash was absolutely
| unacceptable and will hopefully renew the
| discussion of switching. Although there
| were problems with the last switch, the
| Division of Information Technology and
| students will be better prepared for them
| after going through the issues once
| already. DoIT will be better prepared to
| curb problems with the switch and better
| guide students to do so.
`----

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2010/4/9/microsoft-webmail-issues-unacceptable/

Hotmail typosquatter says Microsoft's $500K settlement offer is 'extortion'

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/200861.asp?from=blog_last3

Microsoft is using extortion moans typo-squatter

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1599899/microsoft-extortion-moans-typo-squatter

Recent:

Editor's Note: An Exchange Killer, For Real. No, Really. Well, Maybe Not...

,----[ Quote ]
| While the big Linux news revolves around the desktop wars, one of the few
| remaining Redmond strongholds is the unholy MS Exchange/Outlook duo. For
| whatever reason, despite their innumerable defects, fragility, expense,
| cruddy performance, and friendliness to malware, businesses are reluctant to
| give them up. The two reasons I used to hear were the pain of migration, and
| users don't want to give up their Outlook. Migrating an existing data store
| away from Exchange is very difficult- by design, of course. (Why aren't all
| these smart college-educated business types asking themselves who owns their
| data?) But it can be done.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-08-29-031-35-OS-OO

R.I.P. Exchange?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, many of Microsoft monopolies have been successfully attacked
| by open source: Linux on the server; Apache for Web servers; Firefox for Web
| browsers; and so on.
|
| [...]
|
| Cisco is buying PostPath, and that is going to kick Exchange in the head. You
| see, is an open-source based server program that doesn't just do e-mail and
| groupware, it actually has reverse-engineered Microsoft Exchange's protocols.
| Result: To someone sitting at a desk looking at your copy of Outlook, you
| won't be able to tell the difference.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/r_i_p_exchange

Open source could doom Exchange, one IT pro believes

,----[ Quote ]
| The following post is a guest blog from new Google Subnet blogger Garett
| Kopczynski who this week launched Network World's Google Watcher blog.
| Kopczynski is an IT professional for the city of Keene, N.H., and has been
| involved in the transformation of the IT group as it increasingly explores
| cloud computing and Google Apps. He writes: I am seeing the evidence of a
| fundamental shift to open source. The clunkiness of the IT world I have
| experience with brings to mind the time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and
| mammals waited in the wings. As people are exposed to the possibilities of
| server side applications and program alternatives, I think they will feel
| less obliged to go with the current standard. AOL, for instance, was the
| easiest option for Internet in the 1990's, and yet it is no longer an
| indomitable presence. Open source could spell extinction for the current IT
| standards.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/29530

Microsoft Exchange dumped for Linux-based clone

,----[ Quote ]
| After conducting an evaluation of alternatives, the hospital decided not to
| upgrade to a newer version of Exchange. Instead, it went with a  Linux-based
| Exchange clone that it felt could meet the needs of its 700 users without
| forcing them and IT to learn a whole new system.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/052808-microsoft-exchange-linux-clone.html

Related:

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending. ..."
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

,---[ Quote ]
| In May 2004, Judge J. Frederick Motz ordered Microsoft to
| investigate Burst.com's claim that, in 2000, Allchin ordered
| Microsoft employees to destroy email after 30 days and not to
| archive their email, suggesting that this deletion policy
| might be an effort to eliminate material that would later be
| damaging in court. This case was settled out of court in March
| 2005, with Microsoft agreeing to pay Burst.com $60 million
| for nonexclusive rights to Burst.com's media player software.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Bush team deletes embarrassing emails

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Washington Post, countless e-mails to and from
| many key White House staffers have been deleted to avoid
| congressional subpoenas.

Virgin Media taps Microsoft in lengthy email outage

,----[ Quote ]
| A mysterious configuration problem was identified on one of VM's eight email
| server clusters last Wednesday. Microsft engineers have struggled to identify
| the cause, forcing several reboots.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/18/virgin_blueyonder_email_outage_microsoft/

[Australia:] WA infrastructure dept close to e-mail disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Western Australia's Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI)
| has revealed its Microsoft Exchange-based e-mail system is
| suffering frequent outages that are creating a risk of
| embarrassing public data loss.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/WA_infrastructure_dept_close_to_e_mail_disaster/0,130061791,339274592,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/395b26

Why Exchange could be in trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Because Exchange is a whole other world, and, even with the large
| Exchange community, I find it equally opaque at times.
|
| So, for now at least, we went to the tried and true
| Postfix+Courier-IMAP solution that is ever so common in
| UNIX shops, companies that are open to using Linux, and ISPs.
`----

http://www.techevangelism.com/2007/06/06/why-exchange-could-be-in-trouble/

Specsavers opens eyes to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The group aims to have made the same transition across all its 960
| stores with Redhat, a version of the Linux open source operating
| system, being used to run its retail computer terminals. Four
| thousand of these have been transitioned so far, with another
| 4,000 still to be done in other countries.
|
| Its point of sale machines will also be moved to Linux, as will
| the servers running its stores and regional headquarters. The
| firm's large-scale data centre in Guernsey will be running Sun
| Solaris. It has also invested in an open source accounting
| package to run its financials outside the UK, which it is under
| an agreement not to name. The UK system won't change, said Khan,
| because he believed that "if it ain't broke, you don't fix it".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/14/specsavers_open_source/

Read the Exchange 2007 small print

,----[ Quote ]
| Hmmm. Simplification? Sounds more like a way for Microsoft to wring
| more dollars from customers, to me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=175

Exchange 2007 facing integration issues with other Microsoft software

,----[ Quote ]
| In a nutshell, Exchange 2007 can't run on Microsoft's most
| current virtualization software, Exchange's management tools
| won't run on the just released Vista desktop operating system
| and the 64-bit messaging server is not compatible with Microsoft's
| forthcoming 64-bit server operating system called Longhorn.
|
| [...]
| In any case, users are already reacting, especially in regards to |
| virtualization, which has become a hot bed of networking activity, as well
| as, a major area of competition for Microsoft with VMWare and open source
| Xen on Linux platforms
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011107-exchange-vista-integration.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Users, analysts: No rush to adopt Exchange 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista isn't the only recently released Microsoft software
| that will give users headaches when they upgrade their systems.
| Corporate users, partners, and analysts said upgrading to Exchange
| Server 2007 from previous versions also may be a lengthy and
| painful process for companies, which may want to take a
| wait-and-see approach to the new software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070203/tc_infoworld/85730

Open source email is the future - Synaq

,----[ Quote ]
| "We continue to receive very positive feedback from clients that have
| committed to a migration from traditional email platforms, Exchange and other
| messaging infrastructure. Clearly, there is an association between
| Linux-based technology and benefits such as improved operational efficiency,
| higher levels of infrastructure management and control, as well as lower
| total cost of ownership," he adds.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1608

Multifunction Open-Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, 23% of the nearly 1,000 IT managers and C-level executives who
| responded to the survey said they planned to migrate from Microsoftâs
| Exchange Server (www.microsoft.com) and replace it with a Linux
| (www.linux.org) or open-source messaging platform in the next 12 to 18
| months.
`----

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2934%2F32p34%2F32p34.asp&guid=&searchtype=&WordList=&bJumpTo=True
http://tinyurl.com/394y23

Microsoft quietly patches Windows Live OneCare to fix Outlook problems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=316