[News] New Lists and Reviews of Applications for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Lists and Reviews of Applications for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:18:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

8 Best Free Instant Messaging Clients for Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Linux is a free; open-source
| operating system based the Debian GNU/Linux
| distribution. However, many people do not
| prefer to use it because of the number of
| applications that are available for Ubuntu
| Linux, when compared with Windows and Mac.
| If you are a Ubuntu user and confused which
| instant messaging client you should use, I
| gathered a list of few excellent IM clients
| for Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://www.itechmax.com/2010/04/10/8-best-free-instant-messaging-clients-for-ubuntu-linux/

Last.fm Support in Ubuntu 10.04 â Scrobbling and Streaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Setting up Last.fm streaming and scrobbling
| in Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx, is fast and
| easy. The Rhythmbox music player provides
| scrobbling support and the Last.fm client
| will let you stream your favorite stations
| in a nice stand-alone application. Hereâs a
| screencast and written instructions on
| exactly how to set things up.
`----

http://www.starryhope.com/linux/2010/last-fm-support-in-ubuntu-10-04-scrobbling-and-streaming/

A console spellchecker and dictionary

,----[ Quote ]
| My list of stuff to write about seems to
| get longer and longer every day, instead of
| shorter and shorter. I just got done
| explaining four console âtoolsâ that lack
| real interfaces but are still useful, and I
| could probably come up with three or four
| more posts similar to that.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/a-console-spellchecker-and-dictionary/

Celtx, A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| We are several days into Script Frenzy, a
| thirty day challenge to write a script,
| either a movie, play, television or graphic
| magazine. The challenge is similar to the
| fall exercise known as National Novel
| Writing Month where you have to write a
| novel. But where NaNo is about word count,
| Script Frenzy is about page count. But this
| is not the only difference.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/celtx-review

Avant Window Navigator 0.4 Final Released (Dock Taskbar And Launcher For Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of people have been using AWN (Avant
| Window Navigator) 0.4 for quite some time,
| but that was a beta version.
|
| Today the stable version of AWN 0.4 has
| been released, after 14 months since the
| last Avant Window Navigator release.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/avant-window-navigator-04-final.html

Miranda Your Personal Ubuntu File Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Miranda is your personal file organizer in
| Ubuntu. She will help you to de clutter
| your documents and organizes them according
| to some predefined rules.  We can ask her
| to move files with certain names or date
| into certain folder. She will help you zip
| and archive old files that we do not need.
| She can even help you empty your rubbish
| bin on a regular basis.  User can create a
| combination of rules that allow Miranda to
| organize your files in a fashion that the
| user see it fits.
`----

http://zfranciscus.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/miranda-your-personal-ubuntu-file-manager/

Shiny, Happy Linux OS Terminals With Bashish

,----[ Quote ]
| In the mood for a bit more color in your
| life? Check out Bashish to try out themes
| for your terminal.
|
| I installed from source due to problems
| with the Debian repository; if doing this,
| note that you'll need to install the dialog
| package manually via apt-get. Once you've
| run ./configure; make; sudo make install,
| run bashish to get things set up properly.
| Then restart a terminal to get the default
| theme.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3875851/Shiny-Happy-Linux-OS-Terminals-With-Bashish.htm

Secure your disks and data with eMount