[News] Targeting Ubuntu GNU/Linux at Developing Nations

  • Subject: [News] Targeting Ubuntu GNU/Linux at Developing Nations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:37:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Selling Ubuntu to the âThird Worldâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu adoption for communities in the
| âThird Worldâ seems like it should be a no-
| brainer: how could a functional, free
| operating system not prove wildly popular
| in developing countries?  Nonetheless, I
| believe Ubuntu use outside rich nations
| remains limited. Hereâs a look at some
| suggested explanations of that reality, and
| how to change it.
|
| Counting Ubuntu users by countryâlike
| counting Ubuntu users in generalâis
| surprisingly difficult.  There used to be a
| frappr page, a map run by ubuntu-fr.org and
| a world map hosted on the Ubuntu forums all
| dedicated to this purpose, but these
| resources no longer function.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/04/11/selling-ubuntu-to-the-third-world/

How Canonical Can Do Ubuntu Right: It Isn't a Technical Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, with only a very few exceptions,
| the comments and discussion around my
| criticism of Ubuntu has been respectful and
| on topic, even when people strongly
| disagreed with me. This says something very
| positive about the Ubuntu community.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/04/how-canonical-can-do-ubuntu-ri.html

Recent:

Yet Another Reason To Learn Linux â Itâs Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Your Linux costs donât end with the Internet.
| I donât think that the electricity that powers
| your computer is free. And the longer your
| days and nights spent in front of the
| computer the higher your light and heat
| bill. Furthermore, the more time you spend
| on Linux the more money you may end up
| spending on snacks, new eyeglasses, and
| taxis when you miss the bus to work because
| you just couldnât tear yourself away from
| the computer in time. I think you get my
| drift. But we repeat. Linux, this website,
| and many of the references on the web are
| free. Should you outgrow Damn Small Linux
| the larger versions of Linux are free, or
| at least quite inexpensive when compared to
| ostensibly similar versions of Microsoft
| Windows.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/12/12/yet-another-reason-to-learn-linux-its-free/

Related:

Deploying KDE [and Debian] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html