[News] Intellectual Monopolies Take a Hit at hypePad App, Users

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Take a Hit at hypePad App, Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:46:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Star Trek app for iPad pulled after infringement complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| Although PushyPixels maintains the company
| did not use any copyright or trademark
| infringing materials, it killed Captain's
| Log rather than get into a long, costly
| legal battle with Paramount.
|
| A Paramount Pictures spokeswoman,
| meanwhile, said PushyPixels simply did not
| have a license for the app, which was
| similar in design and function to an app -
| also called "Captain's Log" - that the
| studio is working on for the iPhone.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=60618

Bad Publicity Forces Lawyers Out of Anti File-Sharing Cases

,----[ Quote ]
| A British law firm, which only recently
| entered the file-sharing settlement letters
| business, has withdrawn due to masses of
| bad publicity. Tilly Bailey & Irvine, who
| tried to rewrite history on its Wikipedia
| page to remove its connection to this work,
| say that they fear the rest of their
| business could be damaged.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bad-publicity-forces-lawyers-out-of-anti-file-sharing-cases-100410/

TBI Solicitors lost its bottle? â Law firms pulls out of file sharing âventureâ

,----[ Quote ]
| We covered TBI Solicitors in previous
| articles here.  TBI were the law firm who
| were the latest crew to enter into the
| world of warning letters and fines for
| those suspected of file sharing.
|
| According to Which? TBI, (which was alleged
| to be pursuing amongst other material,
| Adult film titles, now appears to have
| removed itself from the practice making the
| comment:
|
|     We are concerned that the adverse
|     publicity could affect other areas of
|     our practice and therefore following
|     discussions with our clients, we have
|     reluctantly agreed that we will cease
|     sending out further letters of claim.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/tbi-solicitors-lost-its-bottle-law-firms-pulls-out-of-filesharing-issue/

Recent:

An Open Letter to The United States Trade Representative

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/An-Open-Letter-to-The-United-States-Trade-Representative