[News] New Zealand's Software Developers Respond to the "IP Cartel"

  • Subject: [News] New Zealand's Software Developers Respond to the "IP Cartel"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:57:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Response to Software Patent Supporters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjXe95TREs

Power backs deletion of software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Commerce Minister Simon Power says the
| Government will back changes proposed by a
| select committee that will mean computer
| software can no longer be patented.
|
| Parliament's commerce select committee
| proposed amending the Patents Bill, which
| passed its first reading in May last year,
| after receiving many submissions on the
| controversial issue.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/development/power-backs-deletion-of-software-patents

Recent:

New Zealand govt against software patents!

,----[ Quote ]
| Substantial credit is due to the people in
| NZ that submitted letters making the case
| against software patents:
|
|     * Egressive Limited
|     * The New Zealand Open Source Society
|     * InternetNZ
|     * Guy Burgess
`----

http://news.swpat.org/2010/03/new-zealand-govt-against-software-patents/

Select Committee Reports On New Patents Bill In New Zealand

http://www.jdsupra.com/post/documentViewer.aspx?fid=2b9e677a-2062-4529-9724-399d0fb57885

New Zealand Politicians Want To Explicitly Outlaw Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| As we wait for the Bilski ruling in the US
| (which my gut feeling tells me will have
| the Supreme Court totally punt on the issue
| of software patents), it seems like
| politicians down in New Zealand have
| figured out that software patents are a
| real problem.

New Zealand Legislators Say Software should be Inpatentable

,----[ Quote ]
| New Zealand legislators have proposed a
| bill which would make it impossible to
| patent software. The bill, which is going
| through the process for patent reform,
| clearly indicates that software should not
| be patentable.
|
| If this bill becomes a law, then it will
| create friction with US ACTA negotiators,
| who about to make software patents standard
| internationally.
`----

http://topnews.us/content/214985-new-zealand-legislators-say-software-should-be-inpatentable

New Zealand patent reform bill says no to software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| New Zealand's parliament is preparing to
| vote on a major patent reform bill that
| will tighten the country's standards of
| patentability. One of the most significant
| changes in the proposed bill is a specific
| patentability exclusion for software. If
| the bill receives parliamentary approval in
| its current form, it will broadly eliminate
| conventional software patents in New
| Zealand.
|
| The bill was drafted by the Select Commerce
| Committee, which decided to include the
| exclusion after reviewing feedback from the
| software industry. The bill's official
| summary acknowledges that software patents
| are detrimental to the open source software
| development model and have the potential to
| seriously stifle innovation.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/04/new-zealand-patent-reform-bill-says-no-to-software-patents.ars

New Zealand legislators want to outlaw software patents

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/04/01/new_zealand_legislators_want_to_outlaw_software_patents