[News] Tablets Running GNU/Linux Have Strong Selling Points

  • Subject: [News] Tablets Running GNU/Linux Have Strong Selling Points
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:37:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google's open-source Flash-supporting tablet
to take on Apple's iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will apparently be working in
| âstealth modeâ while experimenting with
| content publishers and the device.
`----

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Googles-open-source-Flash-supporting-tablet-to-take-on_4415.html

iPad Killer? We Pad E-reader, Google Android
Tablet -video,photos

,----[ Quote ]
| The touchscreen/e-reader/tablet market is
| heating up with the recent announcement of
| the We Pad, a Linux/Android based
| touchscreen tablet that some are touting
| as an iPad killer.
`----

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/ipad-killer-we-pad-e-reader-google-android-tablet-video-photos-2604433.html

WePad, the open Linux based Alternative to
the Apple iPad debuts

http://www.i4u.com/article32973.html

Gadgets -Neofonie Unveils the 'WePad,' a New
'Open' Competitor to Apple's iPad

http://gadgets.tmcnet.com/topics/gadgets/articles/81523-neofonie-unveils-wepad-new-open-competitor-apples-ipad.htm

German firm presents an iPad killer

,----[ Quote ]
| Prices start at 400 Euros for the 16 GB
| version and 550 Euros for the 32 GB
| version.
`----

http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2010/04/german-firm-presents-ipad-killer.html

Reflective color displays are tablet-ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Pixel Qi says its first product, a 10.1-
| inch for netbooks and similar devices, is
| now available to manufacturers. The
| technology will appear in the Notion Ink's
| Android-based Adam tablet, and is rumored
| to be a part of OLPC's Linux-ready ,
| third-generation XO-3 design. In addition,
| a blog entry last month by Jepsen stated
| that kits will be available during the
| second quarter allowing users to install
| Pixel Qi screens in their existing laptops
| in "a five minute operation."
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Qualcomm-Mirasol-XGA/?kc=rss

Recent:

Apple iPad, Google Android to Grab 75% of Tablet Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's Android 2.0-based Mini 5 tablet is
| expected in the U.S. this year, while
| several Android models will feature
| Nvidia's delayed Tegra chipset, including
| the Adam from Notion Ink. ViewSonic offers
| the VTablet 101.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-iPad-Google-Android-to-Grab-75-of-Tablet-Market-in-2010-819756/

My week with an iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| For instance, I opened an SSH session to a
| Linux server with iSSH to check on some
| things, then received a colleague's IM,
| served up via push notifications. This
| required me to quit iSSH to return the IM,
| then go through the reconnection process to
| get back to where I was. The same thing
| happened with RDP sessions -- not cool at
| all. Apple's April 8 iPhone OS 4 event
| showed off multitasking features in the new
| OS version, but I'm going to reserve
| judgement until I can see it myself.
|
| Also, several high-profile iPad apps are
| simply buggy and slow. One of the apps
| touted at the iPad announcement was MLB at
| Bat 2010. It was visually impressive and
| offered features, such as pitch
| trajectories, not found in the original
| iPhone app. Being a baseball fan, I bought
| it for $14.99 on the first day I had the
| iPad. Since then I've found it lacking in
| many areas. It's slow, it consistently
| fails to update game information, it
| crashed several times, and the video
| quality lacks luster. Oh, and there's no
| sign of that pitch trajectory feature
| demoed at the announcement.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-platforms/my-week-ipad-937

Neofonie launches the WePad tablet at a German press event

,----[ Quote ]
| Honestly, at this point I didnât feel like
| there was much I didnât already know about
| the WePad, the German iPad competitor with
| a kind of almost clever name. We already
| knew it would have an 11.6 inch, 1366 x 768
| multitouch display and 1.66GHz Intel Atom
| N450 CPU and run a custom version of Linux
| with a touch-friendly interface. And we
| knew it was based on a Taiwanese design.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/04/neofonie-launches-the-wepad-tablet-at-a-german-press-event.html

Dual-Screen HTC Tablet in the Works?

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks like HTC has just filed a patent for
| a device that would feature dual
| touchscreens in a clamshell design. Many
| are comparing the device to the Microsoft
| Courier, a similarly dual-screened device,
| but the Courier would be lacking one key
| element that is sure to make its way on to
| this interesting HTC design: Android.
`----

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/09/dual-screen-htc-tablet-in-the-works/

Ipad sales fall short of estimates

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1599659/wall-street-journal-admits-ipad-sales-disappointing

Could Copyright Hold Back iPad Sales In Canada And Elsewhere?

,----[ Quote ]
| As it's become clear that the iPad is more
| of a "content delivery vehicle" than an
| interactive device (and there's nothing
| wrong with that), people are quickly
| discovering how regional licensing issues
| and copyright may hold the device back in
| some areas.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100407/1139028914.shtml

iPad security broken in less than 24 hours

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/06/ipad_security/