[News] New Government Examples of Free Software Adoption

  • Subject: [News] New Government Examples of Free Software Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:19:59 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Space Available: NASA Embraces Open Government Initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether using social networks to allow
| students to interact directly with
| astronauts, or creating a cloud computing
| platform to give unprecedented access to
| scientific data, NASA's embrace of Open
| Government has made it a leader among
| federal agencies.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/space-available-nasa-embraces-open-government-initiative-90120602.html

Code ownership the key for government open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a huge difference and there are
| advantages in both approaches:
|
|    1. Government owning code means
|    government power increasing. Those who
|    donât like to see government power
|    increasing may oppose such moves.
|    2. Government owning code means the buck
|    stops there. With vendor code you can
|    blame the vendor when things go wrong.
|    When the code is yours you canât.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6228

Italian Constitutional Court Says Public Administrations Can Favour Open Source

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/35478

Cities of the Future, Part 4: Open Source Avenue

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory
| Commission (NRC) is using a solution
| combining open source business intelligence
| software from JasperSoft and business
| process software from HandySoft to increase
| operational efficiency and organizational
| effectiveness. This will save it 75 people-
| hours a day and more than US$1.5 million a
| year.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Cities-of-the-Future-Part-4-Open-Source-Avenue-69759.html

The Department of Defense and Open Source Software

http://www.banktech.com/whitepaper/Software/Service-Oriented-Architecture/the-department-of-defense-and-open-source-softwar-wp1271101018337;jsessionid=ZTG0IFKESIWWFQE1GHOSKHWATMY32JVN?articleID=137400051&cid=well1_wp_null

Recent:

Open source headlines from the Open Government plans

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama Administration's Open Government
| Directive ordered Federal agencies to produce
| open government plans by April 7th, and while
| some advocates are disappointed, we have
| before us a bewildering number of initiatives
| to improve transparency, collaboration, and
| participation across the Government. It will
| not surprise you to learn that I spent some
| time looking for places where open source is
| being used in these plans.
`----

http://opensource.com/government/10/4/open-source-headlines-open-government-plans

Pushing for consistency in ICT across government

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://business.scoop.co.nz/2010/04/06/pushing-for-consistency-in-ict-across-government/