[News] Australian Press Blasts ACTA

Netizens: How ACTA will make a criminal of you

,----[ Quote ]
| The 'Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement'
| (ACTA) might sound like it's aimed
| exclusively at the crooks selling pirated
| DVDs at the markets, but it's really about
| curbing the behaviour of individual internet
| users, according to one of Australia's
| leading legal academics.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171910,netizens-how-acta-will-make-a-criminal-of-you.aspx

Q & ACTA, with Michael Geist

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Wellington round of the
| controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement (ACTA) talks underway, organised
| opposition to the proposed treaty on
| intellectual property rights and enforcement
| is also gathering in the New Zealand
| capital.
|
| Long-standing ACTA critic Dr Michael Geist
| from Canada is also in Wellington, and
| iTnews.com.au caught up with him there and
| asked him a few questions on the proposed
| treaty and what it means for all of us.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171926,q--acta-with-michael-geist.aspx

How ACTA could sneak in a three strikes system

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet users that download pirated
| material can expect a "three strikes system"
| in the wake of ACTA even if it isn't
| legislated, according to one of Australia's
| top legal authorities on the controversial
| trade agreement.
|
| As reported yesterday on iTnews, University
| of Queensland law lecturer Kimberlee
| Weatherall has written a 37-page
| comprehensive analysis of the latest leaked
| draft text of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement (ACTA) and concluded that netizens
| do indeed have a lot to be concerned about.
|
| Despite assurances from Australia's
| Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
| (DFAT) that Australia has no intention of
| introducing a "three strikes" system
| compelling ISPs to disconnect users
| suspected of file-sharing, Weatherall's
| reading of the leaked draft of ACTA suggests
| the agreement will likely allow rights
| holders to achieve the same result through
| different means.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171980,how-acta-could-sneak-in-a-three-strikes-system.aspx

IIA to ask members to sign ACTA petition

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Industry Association (IIA) chief
| executive officer Peter Coroneos has said he
| plans to ask his members to sign a
| declaration calling for more transparency in
| the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) talks being held this week in
| Wellington, New Zealand.
|
| The agreement aims to establish
| international standards on how to enforce
| intellectual property rights given the
| changes the internet has brought to
| copyright. There have been a number of
| rounds nutting out details for the
| agreement, involving delegations from
| multiple countries such as Australia,
| Canada, the European Union, Japan, Korea,
| Mexico, Singapore, Switzerland, Morocco and
| the US.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/iia-to-ask-members-to-sign-acta-petition-339302365.htm?omnRef=NULL

Recent:

The Wellington Declaration

,----[ Quote ]
| This week marks the start in Wellington New
| Zealand of the next round of ACTA
| negotiations, nominally the US-led Anti-
| Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. The scope
| of the agreement, however, has extended
| well beyond trade in fake medicines and
| knock-off Gucci handbags into the technical
| realms of file-sharing, ISP liability,
| disconnection, and DRM. Such issues have
| been contentious where they've arisen in
| New Zealand, France, the UK, USA, and
| elsewhere, yet negotiators seem ignorant of
| consumer and technology concerns. To
| correct this, the open PublicACTA
| conference two days ago drafted and
| released the Wellington Declaration.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/04/the-wellington-declaration.html

The PublicACTA Conference Webcast

http://www.r2.co.nz/20100410/

Breaking! Live webcast on ACTA-negotiations available

https://www.bof.nl/2010/04/12/breaking-live-webcast-on-acta-negotiationsavailable/

U.S.: No ACTA Transparency Unless Other Countries Cave on Substance

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4949/125/