[News] Group in India Rejects Patenting of Genome/Cures

  • Subject: [News] Group in India Rejects Patenting of Genome/Cures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:52:09 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Indian Scientists Refuse To Patent Tuberculosis Genome, Encourage Anyone To Make The Drugs

,----[ Quote ]
| So it's nice to see that even now that India
| does allow patents on pharma (and, as we
| noted in the original story, Indian patent
| laws have been abused by foreign pharma
| firms in order to jack up prices on commonly
| used medicines), some Indian scientists have
| mapped out the tuberculosis genome, which
| should help creating new drugs that can help
| respond to that disease.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100412/0118378969.shtml

Indian scientists decode TB bacteria genome

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/india-decodes-tb-bacteria-paves-way-for-new-drug/113120-17.html?from=tn