[News] GNU/Linux Thrives With or Without the "Desktop"

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Thrives With or Without the "Desktop"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:50:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The death of Linux and other predictions

,----[ Quote ]
| Firstly, this is NOT the year of Linux on
| the desktop, because frankly it has been on
| the desktop many years already. Read my
| recent article: Why Linux on the Desktop is
| Wrong! So can we lay to rest the phrase "the
| year of the desktop" and all variations? May
| it rest in peace!
|
| Secondly, the desktop is NOT dying because
| someone came up with another clever idea.
| People sliding their greasy fingers all over
| their iPad touch screen while drinking
| coffee isn't going to somehow end people
| sitting at a desk and typing on a keyboard.
`----

http://reallylinux.com/docs/deathoflinux.shtml

How to switch your small or home office to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Linux and free software making a name
| for itself in the world of big business,
| many people are testing the feasibility of
| switching small and home office software to
| their open source equivalents.
|
| Regardless of how you feel about the Linux
| desktop, this is one area in which Linux can
| have a real impact, both financially and
| productively, and any small or home office
| has the potential to be transformed by just
| switching one application or two to their
| open source equivalents.
|
| [...]
|
| Free software is full of alternatives,
| because developers like choice. And because
| the code that's used to create this software
| is open, once one application has invented a
| new kind of wheel, you often find its open
| source competitors catching up and providing
| many of the same features.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-to-switch-your-small-or-home-office-to-linux-682903

Recent:

10 Things Linux Does Better Than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techgage.com/article/10_things_linux_does_better_than_windows