[News] Kernel Discussions at Summit Covered by Many Sites

  • Subject: [News] Kernel Discussions at Summit Covered by Many Sites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:57:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

You Can't Control Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| 10 years ago, IBM had a single mission for
| Linux: Make it better. Now in 2010, IBM
| (NYSE:IBM) has a decade of experience in
| working to do just that, and is sharing its
| knowledge about how companies and developers
| can better participate in the Linux
| community.
|
| Speaking in a keynote session at the Linux
| Foundation's Collaboration Summit, Dan Frye,
| vice president of open system development at
| IBM, provided his insights into some do's
| and don't when trying to work with Linux.
|
| For IBM, one of the hardest lessons it had
| to learn was one about control. Mainly,
| there is none.
|
| "There is nothing that we can do to control
| individuals or communities, and if you try,
| you make thing worse," Frye told the
| audience. "What you need is influence. It
| goes back to the most important lesson,
| which is to give back to the community and
| develop expertise. You'll find that if your
| developers are working with a community,
| that over time they'll develop influence and
| that influence will allow you to get things
| done."
|
| Frye noted during his keynote that an early
| question that IBM asked internally about
| Linux was how it could control a chaotic
| development process. As it turns out, Linux
| development isn't a chaotic process, though
| it may appear that way to some looking from
| the outside.
`----

http://www.cioupdate.com/features/article.php/3876581/You-Cant-Control-Linux.htm

Is Linux graying?

,----[ Quote ]
| Too old is, of course, a vague term. After
| all, Linus Torvalds, Linux's creator and
| leader, is just 40. Still, it is a clear
| that Linux's top kernel leaders aren't kids
| anymore.
|
| Greg Kroah-Hartman, a Novell engineer and
| head of the Linux Driver Project, replied,
| "Turnover at the upper level is not
| happening." James Bottomley, another Novell
| engineer and the Linux Foundation's
| Technical Advisory Board Chair, agreed that:
| "There are more gray beards. The graying of
| the Linux kernel is going to continue until
| people start dying."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15936/is_linux_graying

Q&A with Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| CG: As Linux gets more âproductizedâ in the
| mainstream, where is the sense of community
| that was such a fundamental part of early
| Linux success? Everywhere we look we see
| more and more people using Linux for their
| embedded solutions, but fewer and fewer
| people seem to be actively engaging with the
| open source development communities. There
| are exceptions (the folks at PogoPlug, for
| example, seem to be doing a good job
| cultivating a community with their user
| enthusiasts), but I think the bulk of Linux
| deployment is following the Google model:
| use it for hosted solutions, and only share
| a tiny fraction of your customizations. Will
| Meego only exacerbate this? How are the big
| mobile companies adopting Android and Meego
| âgiving backâ to the larger open source
| community?
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/14/qa-with-jim-zemlin-executive-director-of-the-linux-foundation/

Linux: Strong and getting stronger

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Linux Foundation's annual
| collaboration summit in San Francisco on
| Wednesday, Executive Director Jim Zemlin
| kicked off the event with some interesting
| perspectives on the state of the Linux
| marketplace today.
|
| The short version: Linux is going strong and
| getting stronger.
|
| [...]
|
| Zemlin argues that the new PC economics look
| much more like the cell phone industry than
| it does the PC value chain. One example of
| this is Apple's 30 percent take of the gross
| revenue of App Store apps. The new model
| takes the value off the platform itself and
| instead moves it to the applications.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20002478-62.html

Linux Foundation Head Says OS Can Be 'Fabulous and Free'

,----[ Quote ]
| Where is Linux headed? That's a question the
| Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux
| Foundation, is focused on as his
| organization gears up for the Linux
| Collaboration Summit this week.
|
| In Zemlin's view, Linux is strategically
| placed at the intersection of a number of
| major IT trends that will serve to bolster
| adoption of the open source operating
| system. With the increasing growth of the
| mobile web and cloud services, Zemlin thinks
| Linux will end up the big winner.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7040/1/

Recent:

Catch the Collaboration Summit from the Comfort of Home

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week's Collaboration Summit, put on by
| the Linux Foundation, will gather together
| "the brightest minds in Linux" to mull over
| all the great problems that plague our
| beloved operating system. If you can't make
| it to San Francisco to collaborate in
| person, fear not, the Summit will come to
| you.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/catch-collaboration-summit-comfort-home

Free video streaming offered for Linux summit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has announced it
| is now accepting registrations for a free,
| live video streaming program of its
| Collaboration Summit keynote sessions in
| San Francisco next Wednesday, April 14.
| Meanwhile, the non-profit Linux advocacy
| group has announced several new members,
| including Ricoh, Parallels, and Cubrid.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/LF-Collaboration-Summit-video-streaming-service/

Autonomously Generating An Ideal Kernel Configuration

,----[ Quote ]
| While most Linux users are fine with just
| using the kernel supplied by their
| distribution vendor, there are some
| enthusiasts and professional users who end
| up tweaking their kernel configuration
| extensively for their needs, particularly
| if they are within a corporate environment
| where the very best performance and
| reliability is demanded for a particular
| workload.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE0MA

Linux: Properly Creating And Testing Patches

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you're wondering why I'm taking a long
| time to respond to your patches,", began
| Theodore Ts'o on the linux-ext4 mailing
| list, in a thread that offered much insight
| into how and why to properly submit and
| test patches.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Properly_Creating%20_And_Testing_Patches

One Year Later: What Do You Think of Linux.com?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/185-jennifer-cloer/293444-one-year-later-what-do-you-think-of-linuxcom