[News] GIMP Praised as an Applications That Replaces Adobe

  • Subject: [News] GIMP Praised as an Applications That Replaces Adobe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:11:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GIMP Is No Lame Photo Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is one of the most able-bodied open
| source photo manipulation apps in the world,
| and its feature set rivals those of many
| proprietary -- and often downright expensive
| -- offerings. Its features will fix flaws in
| photos as well as enable the user to
| artistically manipulate images in a
| multitude of formats. However, most photo
| editors this advanced do require a bit of a
| learning curve, and GIMP is no exception.
|
| The Linux world is filled with numerous
| capable packages for just about every
| computing category. Graphics manipulation
| applications are no exception. In any list
| of able-bodied graphics candidates, GIMP 2.6
| should be one of the top three contenders.
|
| [...]
|
| When I left Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Windows
| for the Linux platform, I desperately needed
| an inexpensive replacement for Photoshop.
| One of the first photo editing apps I
| encountered was GIMP. It is available in
| most Linux package management systems. Its
| tool set has all the bells and whistles I
| used in the Adobe product.
|
| GIMP became my de facto benchmark
| measurement for similar photoshopping apps.
| The fact that GIMP runs on both of my Linux
| workhorse distros -- Ubuntu and Puppy Linux
| -- made using it a real bargain.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/69753.html?wlc=1271258110

Gcal the ultra-powerful command line GNU calendar

http://www.mostlymaths.net/2010/04/gcal-ultra-powerful-command-line-gnu.html

10 Linux rescue tools for recovering Linux, Windows, or Mac machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Our consulting firm has had a rash of
| problems recently that required the help of
| Linux rescue tools. From corrupt partition
| tables to severely infected machines, Linux
| tools come in handy when the host system
| wonât boot. But because of the plethora of
| tools available, itâs sometimes tough to
| sift through the cruft and find the ones
| that are usable. So I decided to highlight
| some of the better tools. I hope one or two
| of them will find their way to your toolkit.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1458

Recent:

Photoshop VS. GIMP

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation
| Program. It is a freely distributed program
| for such tasks as photo retouching, image
| composition and image authoring.
|
| It has many capabilities. It can be used as a
| simple paint program, an expert quality photo
| retouching program, an online batch processing
| system, a mass production image renderer, an
| image format converter, etc.
`----

http://www.linux2u.co.cc/2010/04/photoshop-vs-gimp.html

Photoshop CS4 vs. GIMP 2.6.6