[News] Linux Mint 8 KDE in Review (Totalling 4 out of 5)

  • Subject: [News] Linux Mint 8 KDE in Review (Totalling 4 out of 5)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:21:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Mint 8 KDE (Helena)

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre a Linux Mint KDE user then this
| upgrade is pretty much a no-brainer. This
| release gets you up to date with the latest
| version of Ubuntu (though Ubuntu 10 isnât far
| off so Iâll be reviewing this again soon
| enough) and KDE.
|
| If KDE isnât your thing though, thereâs
| nothing here that will make you want to use it
| instead of the GNOME version.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/04/14/linux-mint-8-kde-helena/

Recent:

Linux Mint 8 KDE Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint is one of the most popular Ubuntu
| based distroâs, possibly for the fact it
| brings something new to the table rather than
| just a different set of wallpapers. Its always
| been one of my favorite distros, and like the
| main Ubuntu project, it has more than one
| âflavourâ. The main edition, which features
| the GNOME desktop has been out for a while,
| but the latest KDE release, was released about
| a week ago.
`----

http://thelinuxblog.net/linux/linux-mint-8-kde-edition/

Linux Mint 8 achieves final KDE version

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Mint team announced the final
| release of Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
| Community Edition. Based on Kubuntu 9.10,
| Linux 2.6.31, KDE 4.3.4 and Xorg 7.4, Linux
| Mint 8 KDE CE boasts improved OEM
| installation, as well as "ignore updates" and
| multiple software selection features.

Linux Mint 8 KDE Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| The final release of Linux Mint 8 (Helena)
| KDE Community Edition is available for
| download. I wrote about the Release Candidate
| of this a couple of weeks ago, so I won't add
| too much more now. I'm still more of a Gnome
| desktop user than KDE, but as KDE 4 gets
| better and better, and combined with the
| excellent integration with Linux Mint, this
| one is a real alternative for me.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10015054o-2000498448b,00.htm

Linux Mint 8 KDE released!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1265

Linux Mint 8 KDE Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| The final release of Linux Mint 8 (Helena)
| KDE Community Edition is available for
| download. I wrote about the Release
| Candidate of this a couple of weeks ago, so
| I won't add too much more now. I'm still
| more of a Gnome desktop user than KDE, but
| as KDE 4 gets better and better, and
| combined with the excellent integration
| with Linux Mint, this one is a real
| alternative for me.
|
| [...]
|
| It may be that this is the same one used by
| Kubuntu, I haven't installed that in quite
| a long time so I don't know what it looks
| like any more. But this is nice, clean,
| easy to use and easy to understand.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10015054o-2000498448b,00.htm

Bet you guys thought I forgot about this blog, huh?

,----[ Quote ]
| I then decided Iâd test the âupgradeâ
| feature when Ubuntu 9.10 came out, and let
| it upgrade itself via APT. That was
| interesting, but a few things didnât work
| quite right. Iâve never been one to upgrade
| an OS because of this. Iâm a clean install
| kind of guy. So when things didnât work
| quite right, I wiped it and installed my
| next project. Linux Mint 8.
| Mmmm, Mint
|
| Now, back in September-ish, I rebuilt my
| main desktop machine at home. I had initial
| plans to install Slackware 13, but since
| Slackware now doesnât fit my needs, I
| decided to go with something else entirely,
| so I ended up installing Linux Mint 7 on
| it.
|
| My desktop is still running happily on Mint
| 7, and while that process came with its own
| issues (the default kernel didnât like my
| DVD-ROM drive, plus I discovered massive
| problems trying to set up Mint 7 on a
| machine that uses both IDE and SATA drives
| together), once I got everything set up,
| itâs been really great.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/02/06/the-ongoing-role-of-my-old-toshiba-laptop/

Linux Mint 8 (Helena) KDE Community Edition Release Candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| I have previously described Linux Mint as
| "Ubuntu plus all the stuff you would probably
| add to it yourself after installing". Of
| course, you need to be aware that a lot of the
| things which are added are proprietary or
| otherwise non-FOSS, so if you are a
| GNU/Linux/FOSS purist, you should be aware of
| that at the beginning. I am not of that
| persuasion, and Mint is one of my two favorite
| distributions (SimplyMEPIS is the other). Now,
| with the quality of Mint and the care that the
| Mint Community contributors have taken in
| adding KDE 4.3, this is sure to be an
| excellent distribution. If you are a KDE
| devotee, and you have been disappointed by
| Kubuntu (I know that a lot have), I would
| strongly encourage you to take a look at this
| distribution.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014924o-2000498448b,00.htm

Linux Mint 8 RC1 KDE Edition Arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| Clement Lefebvre and the Linux Mint community
| are proud to present today (January 21st) the
| first release candidate of the upcoming Linux
| Mint 8 KDE Community Edition operating system.
| Powered by Linux kernel 2.6.31 and built on
| top of the KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4,
| Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 comes with many
| improvements in various areas of interest. It
| is now based on the Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic
| Koala) Linux distribution.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-8-RC1-KDE-Edition-Arrives-132766.shtml

Linux Mint 8 KDE CE Release Candiate Leaked

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thebluemint.blogspot.com/2010/01/linux-mint-8-ce-release-candiate-leaked.html