[News] EVTV a Step Forward to GNU/Linux in Home Theatre

  • Subject: [News] EVTV a Step Forward to GNU/Linux in Home Theatre
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:10:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Introducing the EVTV - A step forward in Linux-based Home Theater PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| EightVirtues.com Computers and ElementHTPC.com
| are proud to announce the EVTV! An innovative
| Home Theater PC designed to deliver a fully
| functional computing environment for your
| television alongside web media services like
| Hulu Desktop, Boxee TV, YouTube XL, and more.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/12032.html

Recent:

Boxee aims to shake up the home theater

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on what it does now, Boxee has high potential. The media center that I
| spend the most time with is MythTV, which by comparison is a royal pain for
| all media types other than recorded television. Boxee would benefit from the
| addition of a search function, but already its local content browser and
| media player are stable and easy to use. Accessing Internet content directly
| from the media center is far better than dropping out just to use a
| specialized app like Miro.
|
| Ronen describes the goal of Boxee as providing the "truly connected
| experience," noting "it just doesn't make sense that your media center
| experience is going to be disconnected from the rest of your online social
| activities." On that point, he is entirely right -- media center software
| sorely needs to be taken out of appliance mode and made as interactive as
| every other activity on the Internet. Keep an eye on Boxee; as the code
| matures, it may just change what you expect out of media centers, and you may
| want drag a PC up to the television to give it a shot.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147175

Weekend Project: Boxee, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Boxee is a great product. I have tried MythTV and some other media
| center products and I think Boxee has a good concept on their hands. It
| handles your collections of media very well and offers the possibility to
| share your activity with friends. Boxee may be the media center answer to
| Twitter.
|
| I intend to follow the Boxee teamâs work and I look forward to the next
| release.
`----

http://jt.west-age.com/2008/09/weekend-project-boxee-part-2/

Boxee: linux version is available

,----[ Quote ]
| [I]f you already received an invite then youâll find links to download
| versions for Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04. we figured that between Gutsy Gibbon and
| Hardy Heron we will cover most of the Ubuntu users out there.
`----

http://blog.boxee.tv/2008/07/22/linux-version-is-available/

Related:

LIX Systems LX8100-AM2BB-M2NPV HTPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we are looking at a moderately priced Home Theater PC that has
| everything pre-configured to hopefully begin a smooth Linux media
| experience. LIX Systems' mission is to provide customers with easy to
| setup, ready-to-run, Linux PC solutions while also maintaining support
| for Windows users. LIX Systems' sister site is Linux Tech Toys. The
| HTPC we have in our labs today is the LX8100-AM2BB-M2NPV. This systemu
| ses AMD's Socket AM2, ships in an exclusive Lx8100 enclosure, and comes
| with a Philips TV tuner and radio capture card.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=558&num=1

Monolith Media Center brings MythTV to the technophobe

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/monolith-media-center-brings-mythtv-to-the-technophobe