[News] A Look at Nvidia Drivers and Nouveau for Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Nvidia Drivers and Nouveau for Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:51:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nvidia Releases OpenGL 4.0 Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenGL was released just a month days ago.
| Now, Nvidia has released its latest OpenGL
| Linux driver with full support for OpenGl
| 4.0 on GeForce GTX 480/470. In addition to
| this, Nvidia has also release four new
| OpenGL extensions which provides additional
| capabilities to developers.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/nvidia-releases-opengl-linux-drivers.html

The Real Need For Nouveau Power Management

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_nouveau_power&num=1

Nouveau Is Power Hungry On Desktops Too

,----[ Quote ]
| This morning we talked about the real need
| for Nouveau power management as with a
| notebook bearing a NVIDIA GPU this open-
| source NVIDIA driver can easily consume
| 10~30% more power than using NVIDIA's
| official binary driver. While power
| management is more important on the mobile
| side, a quick test was carried out on a
| desktop too.
|
| For this Nouveau desktop testing of the
| power consumption a AMD Sempron box was
| used running a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX.
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was used comparing its
| Nouveau KMS driver (using the Linux 2.6.32
| kernel but with the 2.6.33 DRM back-ported,
| and no Gallium3D driver in use) to the
| NVIDIA 195.36.15 binary driver. Ubuntu
| 10.04 was used for some variation in the
| test results and the Red Hat Anaconda
| installer with Fedora 13 Beta would hang
| with this AMD system when it came to
| detecting the Serial ATA hard drive.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE1Nw

Recent:

Nouveau Now Switched On In Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| For those interested in proper OpenGL support for
| gaming or other situations, the NVIDIA binary
| driver can still be installed in Ubuntu 10.04.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODAwMg

Benchmarks Of Nouveau's Gallium3D OpenGL Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| To benchmark the Gallium3D driver in Fedora
| 13 for Nouveau we fired up the Phoronix
| Test Suite and ran the OpenArena, World of
| Padman, Urban Terror, Unreal Tournament
| 2004, and Warsow test profiles. We tested
| each of these OpenGL games at five
| different resolutions: 800 x 600, 1024 x
| 768, 1280 x 1024, 1680 x 1050, and 1920 x
| 1080.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_gallium3d_first&num=1

A Nouveau 3D Driver That Works For Old NVIDIA Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk1NA