[News] Debian Derivative SimplyMepis 8.5 is Reviewed, Debian ftpmasters Explained

  • Subject: [News] Debian Derivative SimplyMepis 8.5 is Reviewed, Debian ftpmasters Explained
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:12:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SimplyMepis 8.5

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, while technically this was a
| minor version update, SimplyMepis 8.5
| represents a big change for developers and
| users. As the last official KDE 3 holdout
| moves on, it signals the true beginnings of
| a new era. I still get emails every once in
| a while from users complaining about being
| forced to migrate to KDE 4 and for that
| body of users, SimplyMepis 8.5 is a
| wonderful transitional release. It presents
| KDE 4 in an environment that remains very
| similar in appearance to its previous KDE 3
| desktop. For SimplyMepis users, it still
| very much like home. For new users, it
| could be a gentle introduction to KDE 4.
`----

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/383287/707a0720a4c66ee2/

The role of the Debian ftpmasters

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distributions don't simply appear on
| mirrors and BitTorrent networks fully formed.
| A great deal of work goes on behind the scenes
| before a release sees the light of day. Linux
| users who aren't involved in the production of
| a Linux distribution may not fully appreciate
| all of that work. Take, for example, the work
| done by Debian's ftpmasters team.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/381667/

Recent:

First Debian Mini Conference to be held in Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian Project, the team behind the
| free Debian operating system, is pleased to
| announce that the first Debian Mini
| Conference in Germany will take place on
| the 10th and 11th of June in Berlin as a
| subconference of this year's LinuxTag.
| LinuxTag is one of the most important Open
| Source Events in Europe and takes place
| from June 9th to 12th on the Berlin
| Fairgrounds.
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100408

SimplyMEPIS 8.5.01 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I've tried several versions of the
| SimplyMEPIS but never really got hooked on
| the visual appearance leaving me wondering
| what beginners find so appealing in
| SimplyMEPIS. With the release of
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5.01 I decided this was the
| perfect time to give it a try and see what
| all the fuss is about.
|
| [...]
|
| Before using SimplyMEPIS this time around,
| I wasn't sure what was so exciting about
| this Debian-based distro. Now I know. Two
| reasons SimplyMEPIS 8.5.01 might make a
| great distro for newbies is it offers GUI
| configuration tools and also a huge package
| selection due to it's Debian base. The
| visual appearance is getting there and I
| think that this most recent version is an
| improvement in the overall look and feel
| but still may have some catching up to do
| when compared to other top distros.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/reviews/simplymepis-8501-review

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Final Switches to KDE 4.3.4

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is ready for the spotlight
| with all the bugs and rough edges remaining
| in the final release candidate being ironed
| out. No new features have been introduced
| since RC3, but SimplyMEPIS 8.5 has plenty
| to offer users who want a great Linux
| experience right out of the box.
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 is based on Debian Lenny,
| the latest stable release, but also comes
| with newer packages when the developers
| believed they were stable enough or offered
| enough improvements to justify their
| inclusion. The new release also marks the
| transition from the KDE 3.5 desktop
| environment to the newer KDE 4 software
| compilation.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SimplyMEPIS-8-5-Final-Switches-to-KDE-4-3-4-138854.shtml

SimplyMepis 8.5 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Today marks the release of version 8.5 of
| SimplyMepis, the popular Debian based
| distribution that focuses on the K desktop
| environment. We decided to take it for a
| run and see if there have been any
| significant changes since the previous
| release.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall Impressions:
|
| Pro's:
|
|     * Based on Debian which means the
|     package selection is quite good.
|     * Plenty of configuration utilities for
|     those uncomfortable with the console.
|     * System feels stable.
|     * Pre-installed browser plugins for
|     Firefox save users some time tracking
|     them all down.
|
| Con's:
|
|     * Visually unappealing.
|     * Welcome screen doesn't start at first
|     bootup which negates any value it might
|     add.
`----

http://www.linuxcritic.com/simplymepis-85-review/

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Goes Gold

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS LLC has announced the availability of
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 from MEPIS and public
| mirrors. The ISO files for 32 and 64 bit
| processors are SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_32.iso and SimplyMEPIS-CD_8.5.01-
| rel1_64.iso respectively. Deltas are also
| available.
|
| On behalf of the MEPIS Community, Paul
| Brooks was on hand to say: "This is one of
| the best releases ever. The Community
| collaboration with Warren has strengthened
| over the past couple of years, with in-
| depth testing and the contribution of ideas
| and tweaks. In particular, the Community
| provided artwork and documentation, which I
| believe are top notch. Also community
| member Marcos led the charge to improve
| MEPIS utilities and to create new Community
| contributed utilities."
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14362

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 RC2 is Available