[News] Oracle Evaluates Options With Key Free Software Projects

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Evaluates Options With Key Free Software Projects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:54:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle Analyzing MySQL, OpenOffice Partner Strategies

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to Sun Microsystemsâ
| technology, Oracleâs top partner priority
| is to promote Sun servers and storage. But
| if you listen closely to Oracle Channel
| Chief Judson Althoff, youâll discover that
| heâs already contemplating channel partner
| strategies for Sunâs MySQL, Java and
| OpenOffice offerings.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/04/15/oracle-analyzing-mysql-openoffice-partner-strategies/

The viability of open source forking

,----[ Quote ]
| Although my feelings haven't changed, based
| on the information currently available,
| questions regarding OpenSolaris are
| starting to generate notable discussion.
|
| [...]
|
| Said differently, "The source is available,
| so be warned, Oracle."
|
| OpenSolaris community member Ben Rockwood
| wrote a measured response:
|
|     Here is where I want to be careful.
|     Asking for autonomy at this juncture
|     would be very foolish I think. If they
|     grant it, they will essentially expect
|     us to fork and re-establish the
|     community without Sun/Oracle resources.
|     That means the website goes,
|     communication is severed, employees are
|     instructed not to putback to the
|     autonomous codebase, etc. I think it
|     would go very very badly and we'd
|     essentially help kill the community.
|
|     The size of the community at present is
|     pretty small and relatively inactive.
|     Support for Nexenta, Belenix, etc, is
|     orders of magnitude less so. These
|     projects are productive and active, but
|     the numbers are tiny compared to the
|     official community. Add it all up and I
|     think we have little reason to think
|     that an autonomous community would
|     really have any real support unless we
|     get a sudden and massive influx of
|     contributing developers. So it is,
|     imho, a non-starter.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/the-viability-open-source-forking-907

Recent:

Will enterprises support Drizzle?

,----[ Quote ]
| Former mySQL architect Brian Aker keynoted
| the mySQL Con in Santa Clara this week and
| pushed Drizzle, a mySQL fork he hopes to
| build a company around by the time of Juneâs
| OSCON in Portland.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6266

OpenSolaris free CDs halted