[News] Programming With Free Software Gains, IcedTea6 1.8 is Out

  • Subject: [News] Programming With Free Software Gains, IcedTea6 1.8 is Out
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 00:09:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Analyst: New developer demographics favor Linux, PHP

,----[ Quote ]
| But there does appear to be a definite
| expiration date on these old-school
| programming languages. Interest in dynamic
| languages like PHP and Ruby is not
| complementary to Java and .Net, as Savio
| Rodrigues found, but rather is happening at
| their expense.
|
| The "youthquake" threatens to shake up old
| hierarchies.
|
| This demographic shift is indicative of
| much more than a passing fad in lightweight
| development, reflecting, rather, a deep and
| abiding interest in open source, as I've
| written, but one that is maturing.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-20002569-16.html

IcedTea6 1.8 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| We are proud to announce the release of
| IcedTea6 1.8.
|
| The IcedTea project provides a harness to
| build the source code from OpenJDK7 using Free
| Software build tools. It also includes the
| only Free Java plugin and Web Start
| implementation, and support for additional
| architectures over and above x86, x86_64 and
| SPARC via the Zero assembler port.
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.openjdk.distro-packaging.devel/8938

Recent:

IcedTea 1.5 Adds PowerPC Java Port

,----[ Quote ]
| The IcedTea project added a PowerPC Java port (both 32 and 64 bit) of
| OpenJDK. IcedTea 1.5 now also tracks the mercurial repo, provides better
| GNU/Linux integration by using standard system libraries (libpng, libjpeg,
| zlib, giflib) and can be bootstrapped with the free gcj/ecj/classpath
| toolchain.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/19105/IcedTea-1.5-Adds-PowerPC-Java-Port/

IcedTea: The First 100% Compliant Open-Source Java

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/06/icedtea_tck