[News] Patents Create 'Gene Cartels'

My Review of Luigi Palombi's book, Gene Cartels

,----[ Quote ]
| It is a shame that there are so few existing
| copies of Luigi Palombiâs Gene Cartels. The
| initial press run for this remarkable book was
| apparently less than 1000, yet this is a book
| that every policy maker even remotely
| connected to issues of patents, economics, and
| biotech should read.
|
| Palombiâs background is in law. He worked for
| years as a patent lawyer, writing and arguing
| for biotech patents. Over time, he grew
| disenchanted with the scope and reach of
| patents being granted on biotechnology
| âinnovationsâ, especially as more and more
| patents began to be granted further
| âupstreamâ, over things that were not
| inventions, but rather discoveries. He is now
| a researcher with the Regulatory Institutions
| Network at the Australian National University.
| He devotes his research and activism to
| eliminating âgene patentsâ and his magnum opus
| on the legal case against gene patents works
| methodically through not just recent law on
| the subject but the history of patent law
| itself.
`----

http://whoownsyou-drkoepsell.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-review-of-luigi-palombis-book-gene.html

Recent:

Lab to be first 'open-source' for genetic parts

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.physorg.com/wire-news/25889659/lab-to-be-first-open-source-for-genetic-parts.html