[News] Rogson Spreads GNU/Linux Through His Students

  • Subject: [News] Rogson Spreads GNU/Linux Through His Students
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:04:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Late Night

,----[ Quote ]
| Six hours of fiddling instead of a 20 minute
| installation of GNU/Linuxâ Was it worth it? I
| do not know. Certainly the student is very
| aware of the high cost of maintaining that
| other OS. At my usual rate of pay, six hours
| would be worth roughly the value/price of the
| netbook so it could have been scrapped and
| replaced for the cost of âfixingâ it until
| next time. His family is also aware that that
| other OS cost the boy an evening at home with
| family. I will write up an advertisement to
| send home with students promoting our
| âInstallFestâ to be held next week. Such
| costs will figure prominently.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/17/late-night/

Installfest at School

,----[ Quote ]
| This installfest is for fund-raising for
| various projects like graduation expenses. At
| the last bazaar, I ran hockey target-
| shooting. This could be more fun and more
| profitable, I hope. By parallel processing I
| should be able to do 20 machines easily,
| about double the take on the last bazaar.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/17/installfest-at-school/

Acer, and Others, are Surging Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| If the old guard wish to remain relevant they
| must innovate and/or reduce prices. Both Dell
| and HP have obvious GNU/Linux expertise.
| There is a lot of room to innovate there.
| They could reduce unit prices $100 or more by
| switching to GNU/Linux. From what I have seen
| of Debian GNU/Linux, Squeeze (my recent bug
| has been fixed by an update), once the bugs
| are out in a few months, they could put out
| products as smooth as â7â and much cheaper.
| Further, they could put ARM into mainstream
| products and cut prices another $100 or so.
| ARM+GNU/Linux would permit HP and Dell to put
| out units at about half their current price.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/04/16/acer-and-others-are-surging-ahead/

Recent:

10 Things Linux Does Better Than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techgage.com/article/10_things_linux_does_better_than_windows