[News] Android/Linux - New Phones, New Features

  • Subject: [News] Android/Linux - New Phones, New Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:27:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Xperia X10 To Get Multitouch and Android 2.1 in September?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to mobiles.co.uk, during the
| launch of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, a
| rep said that the X10 is due for a very
| "big" update come second half of 2010,
| around September maybe.
`----

http://www.cellphone-reviews.co.uk/2010/04/xperia-x10-to-get-multitouch-and.html

Motorola Prototype Surfaces, Yet Another Form Factor

,----[ Quote ]
| You have to give Motorola credit for not
| churning out the same handset over and
| over.  It's simple to take the route of
| either a slab phone or sliding QWERTY, yet
| Motorola keeps coming up with various form
| factors for Android.  Take a look at the
| pictures below and you'll see the first
| images of a Motorola phone which borrows a
| tad from the KRAVE ZN4 design.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/19/motorola-prototype-surfaces-form-factor/

Hands on T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide

,----[ Quote ]
| We previously reported that several hundred
| myTouch 3G Slide phones were gifted to
| select T-Mobile employees last week in Las
| Vegas. These units were handed out early in
| a joint effort by T-Mobile and HTC so users
| could test out the phones and provide their
| feedback before launch. One of our sources
| was lucky enough to receive this phone and
| they were nice enough to provide us with a
| 30 minute virtual hands on.
`----

http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/hands-on-t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/

HTC Desire To Launch On U.S. Cellular This Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| If you don't know by now( and you probably
| do), the HTC Desire is a top-notch
| smartphone. Featuring Android 2.1, a 5
| megapixel camera with flash, and a 3.7â
| WVGA AMOLED screen, the Desire is loaded up
| with HTCâs custom Sense user interface,
| which many find classier than stock
| Android.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/04/19/htc-desire-launch-cellular-summer/

Comparing Apples and Androids

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Google perfect? Of course not, but at
| least with respect to Android, they are a
| more welcome dance partner than Apple at
| present.
|
| As a good friend recently commented to me
| about a situation out of my control, âyou
| cannot always make other people do the
| right thingâ.
|
| Letâs hope Apple relents and we can
| continue loving and hating them based on
| technology alone.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7760/1.html

Google bypassing Chrome OS for its tablet device?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is reportedly working on a tablet
| computer based on its Android operating
| system, not the Chrome OS. Google has
| declined to comment on the tablet rumor,
| but that hasn't stopped analysts from
| mulling over the operating system choice.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Analysts-discuss-Google-tablet-rumors/?kc=rss

Recent:

Apple iPhone vs. Android Multitasking: A Comparison

,----[ Quote ]
| So, you can read the whole thing but he
| starts with Android: applications that are no
| longer visible to the user are suspended --
| remaining in memory but without event
| handling or processing.
|
| [...]
|
| Quintana concludes by noting that if Apple
| introduced Android-like unrestricted
| multitasking, "all current [iPhone]
| applications that might take advantage of
| background processing would require a
| redesign to use a client/service
| architecture. Developers would have to
| maintain a completely different app for pre-
| iPhone OS 4 devices or iPhone OS 4 devices
| with no multitasking. In addition, the
| backend server infrastructure required for
| PNS would only be used for pre-iPhone OS 4
| devices and non-multitasking iPhone OS 4.
| This would fragment development severely."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html?tk=rss_news

How Could Android Ever Be Considered âThe Evil OSâ?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://phandroid.com/2010/04/16/how-could-android-ever-be-considered-the-evil-os/