[News] Large List of Free/Libre Software Tools, Cisco May Liberate Telepresence Code

  • Subject: [News] Large List of Free/Libre Software Tools, Cisco May Liberate Telepresence Code
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:32:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

75 Open Source Tools to Replace Apps You Use Every Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Can open source tools replace all closed
| source software? That is, are open source
| tools â freely downloadable software â
| really just as good as software you have to
| pay for?
|
| In a lot of cases, the answer is yes. In
| fact, in some cases, open source tools
| offers features or performance benefits
| that surpass their commercial counterparts.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877196/75-Open-Source-Tools-to-Replace-Apps-You-Use-Every-Day.htm

Cisco completes Tandberg takeover and offers to open source telepresence code

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco has announced it has completed its
| Â2.17bn acquisition of Norwegian video
| systems maker Tandberg and is launching a
| compulsory bid for the outstanding 8.9%
| shares it does not yet own.
|
| Marthin De Beer , Cisco's senior vice-
| president for its emerging technologies
| group, said the company "strongly believed"
| that telepresence, would allow everyone,
| everywhere, to be more productive through
| the pervasive use of video and face-to-face
| collaboration. The full Tandberg product
| line is now part of the Cisco TelePresence
| portfolio, he said.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/04/19/240955/cisco-completes-tandberg-takeover-and-offers-to-open-source-telepresence.htm

On projects and their goals