[News] Finding of GPL Licensing Violations in Devices Made Easier

  • Subject: [News] Finding of GPL Licensing Violations in Devices Made Easier
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:50:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New binary analysis tool finds FOSS in device firmware

,----[ Quote ]
| The most popular copyleft license, the GNU
| General Public License (GPL), has become a
| powerful enabler of collaboration, but a
| growing number of companies fall afoul of its
| requirements. Bradley Kuhn, the technical
| director of the Software Freedom Law Center
| (SFLC) revealed last year that he finds an
| average of one new GPL violator every day. A
| GPL violation constitutes copyright
| infringement and puts the violator in a
| position where they risk having their license
| to use the software terminated. The SFLC and a
| handful of other organizations such as gpl-
| violations.org, attempt to educate companies
| about GPL compliance and help them conform
| with the requirements of the license.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/2010/04/tool-sniffs-oss-binaries-for-sweet-smell-of-license-compliance.ars

Recent:

How does GPL licensing affect projects that don't involve linking/compiling?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a question that I've been trying to
| figure out for a while already.
|
| I'm working on a php project that I will
| distribute (or whatever word you want to use)
| under the terms of the Affero GPLv3.
`----

http://maratux.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-does-gpl-licensing-affect-projects.html

French court hands GPL victory