[News] Software Patents Harm the Prospects of Free/Libre Multimedia Codecs

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents Harm the Prospects of Free/Libre Multimedia Codecs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:30:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Vorbis is not Theora

http://thelinuxexperiment.com/guinea-pigs/tyler-b/vorbis-is-not-theora/

open vs. standard

,----[ Quote ]
| But the reasonable part of me wants to
| point out that one part of the Apple
| statement is worth looking at â the
| assertion that H.264 is open. Because I
| certainly donât consider it to be â not
| even a little.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/2010/04/open-vs-standard/

Google may face legal challenges if it open-sources VP8 codec

,----[ Quote ]
| But there's already historical precedent
| for a company attempting to offer a
| royalty-free license for a codec whose
| underlying technologies it didn't
| completely own. In 2005, Microsoft offered
| its WMV9 technologies as the royalty-free
| standard VC-1. As Microsoft soon
| discovered, WMV9 was not "patent-free"
| outside of Microsoft, and its underlying
| technologies were not royalty-free either.
| Today, Microsoft's service agreement on
| VC-1 includes a notice saying, among other
| things, that AVC -- one of the bedrock
| encoding technologies claimed by other
| rights holders -- may be used in the VC-1
| codec, under a license granted to Microsoft
| by MPEG LA. That license covers Microsoft
| when it, in turn, licenses the use of
| VC-1's three essential encoding
| technologies, for non-commercial purposes.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Google-may-face-legal-challenges-if-it-opensources-VP8-codec/1271343375

No such thing as an unemcumbered codec

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6336

Recent:

Google TV: Another Reason Open Sourcing VP8 Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs decision to open source On2
| Technologyâs VP8 video codec at its Google I/O
| developer conference next month is not only a
| huge boon for HTML5 web video and a blow
| against Adobeâs Flash. Itâs also clearly aimed
| at optimizing video playback on a number of
| devices, like the much-rumored Google TV
| platform as well as upcoming Android tablet
| PCs.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-tv-another-reason-open-sourcing-vp8-matters/

Google to Open Source VP8?