[News] How GNU/Linux Saves Money, Runs on Many Cores

  • Subject: [News] How GNU/Linux Saves Money, Runs on Many Cores
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:33:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Windows â Disaster Movie At Eleven!

,----[ Quote ]
| And it actually gets worse. I assumed that you
| could get by with the cheapest possible
| servers, and with one hundred users, that
| would be pretty unlikely. The hardware costs
| for those three Windows servers probably
| should be about $3000.00 per server higher,
| and that assumes that you can get by with only
| three servers â depending upon your operation
| you might need two or three times as many, and
| additional Backup Power Supplies. The hardware
| cost for the single Linux server should
| probably be about $10,000.00 which is still
| far less expensive.
|
| The point of course is that spending money on
| a Windows solution is an inefficient use of
| funds. Do you want to be the person reporting
| to your board of directors that youâve wasted
| that much money?
`----

http://madhatter.ca/2010/04/22/microsoft-windows-disaster-movie-at-eleven/

Cray Releases Highly Scalable, More Inclusive Super-Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| We'd all love to have a supercomputer, but
| sadly, most of us will never have the chance
| to put that much umph in our computing. If you
| happen to be in the market for a sweet little
| Linux box with a half-million cores or so,
| though, Cray may have just what you're looking
| for.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/cray-releases-highly-scalable-more-inclusive-super-linux

Recent:

Open Source Saves the Day (and Lots of Dosh)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2843