[News] Microsoft Most Valuable Advertiser Tries Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04, Lots of Other Coverage

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Most Valuable Advertiser Tries Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04, Lots of Other Coverage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:01:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| For embedded and lower-cost devices, I
| think Ubuntu (or similar distros) are the
| way to go. However, I just donât feel itâs
| there yet for the desktop environment. What
| are your thoughts?
`----

http://chris.pirillo.com/ubuntu-thoughts/

Appearance Changes: Ubuntu 10.04 vs Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been following the Ubuntu 10.04
| testing releases you're probably aware of
| some significant changes to the appearance
| of Ubuntu. Among the top changes in
| question are the new black theme,
| black/purple gradient background and Mac-
| style title bar buttons that appear on the
| left side of the windows. These are just a
| few of the changes/improvements of this
| release but some of the most controversial.
| Today's release of the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| release candidate sets these changes in
| stone for the release at the end of the
| month. Is this a good change? Here's a few
| screenshots to help you decide.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/reviews/ubuntu-1004-appearance-changes

Near Perfect Ubuntu Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the common questions I get for my
| Ubuntu User column is what is my desktop or
| what is a good desktop for Ubuntu Linux. A
| few weeks ago I got a Dell Inspiron 560 on
| sale at Best Buy. It was a great deal, and
| ended up being a near perfect Ubuntu
| desktop.
`----

http://www.mikesplanet.net/2010/04/near-perfect-ubuntu-desktop/

Ubuntu 10.04 â An Extremely Simple Operating System [Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| Well guys, what do you think? Is Ubuntu
| 10.04 as amazing as Iâm making it out to
| be, or am I just a hopeless fanboy raving
| about a shiny new toy? If youâre trying the
| beta, is there a great new feature that Iâm
| missing? Should I wipe my hard drive and
| install Gentoo, like a real man? Commenting
| doesnât kill kittens, so feel free to do
| so!
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-1004-extremely-simple-operating-system-linux/

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very glad that Linux distributions in
| general (and Ubuntu in particular) have
| matured to the point where I get the luxury
| of talking about shiny new features and
| visual tweaks to the OS instead of getting
| bogged down in system errors and wonky
| configurations.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/ubuntu1004.htm

Itâs almost Lynx time

,----[ Quote ]
| We have a mere 7 days until Ubuntu 10.04
| Lucid Lynx LTS is released and this morning
| I got an email from Steve Langasek through
| the Ubuntu Announcement email list letting
| me know that they now have a release
| candidate available for testing.
`----

http://nancib.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/its-almost-lynx-time/

Ubuntu server OS 10.4 set to ship

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company that distributes the
| Ubuntu flavor of the Linux operating
| system, is set to drop a new Long Term
| Support (LTS) version of its popular distro
| on April 29, 2010. Canonical will make its
| 10.4 distribution available for download on
| the Ubuntu Web site (Server version link,
| desktop version link). LTS versions are
| guaranteed to be supported by Canonical for
| at least five years.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1456

Mythbuntu 10.04 RC is out!

,----[ Quote ]
| Mythbuntu 10.04 Release Candidate has been
| released.  With this release, we are
| providing mirroring on sponsored mirrors
| and torrents.
`----

http://www.mythbuntu.org/10.04/rc

Canonical releases Ubuntu 10.04 LTS release candidate

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-releases-Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-release-candidate-984634.html

Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2024

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx dark theme and Skype

,----[ Quote ]
| If you use Ubuntuâs latest release Lucid
| Lynx and you enjoy to chat with your
| friends using Skype, then you might have
| noticed that Skypes default theme clashes
| with Lucidâs dark theme. Personally, I
| think the new theme is kick-ass, but I was
| a bit annoyed that I couldnât read any of
| the menus in Skype. Iâm taking about the
| kind of menus you get when you right click
| on the Skype icon in your top taskbar. The
| dark text on dark background makes it
| unreadable.
`----

http://web2linux.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-dark-theme-and-skype/

Ubuntu, the family album

,----[ Quote ]
| A few days before the release of the new
| Ubuntu, hereâs a guided tour through the
| Ubuntu family album with some annotations
| telling my story with the different
| versions.
`----

http://blog.nizarus.org/2010/04/ubuntu-the-family-album

Frugal Tech Show: Matt Zimmerman, CTO of Canonical (Ubuntu Linux)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=12765

Ubuntu Shipit Opens Again: Get Free Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx CD

http://www.blogsdna.com/9292/ubuntu-shipit-opens-again-get-free-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-cd.htm

Ubuntu Lucid in final stretch

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx release is one step
| away from final release.
|
| Lucid Lynx, otherwise known as Ubuntu
| 10.04, is now in the final stretch.
|
| Yesterday the Ubuntu Developers announced
| the Release Candidate, the penultimate
| release before its final April 29 release.
|
| The desktop version of the release includes
| cloud computing updates, Music Store
| improvements and tighter social networking
| integration. Changes to the server version
| of the release are mostly focused on
| improving its cloud computing capabilities.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/12186-Ubuntu-Lucid-final-stretch.html

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx Release Candidate Is Out [See What's New]

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/ubuntu-1004-lts-lucid-lynx-release.html

Ubuntu wants Adobe, even if Apple doesn't

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently suggested that, given Apple and
| Adobe's growing war over iPad and iPhone
| applications, it would make sense for Adobe
| to move not only its end-user applications,
| but its Creative Suite development stack,
| to Linux. While I don't know if Adobe is
| considering it, Canonical, the company
| behind Ubuntu Linux, would welcome Adobe.
|
| Canonical marketing manager Gerry Carr told
| me that "in a recent survey we did of the
| Ubuntu User base where we got 32,000 plus
| application for Ubuntu got a 3.52 rating
| out of 5 being the second most popular
| potential app after Skype."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15991/ubuntu_would_welcome_adobe_to_linux

Open Source Communities: Canonical, Ubuntu and Jono Bacon

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I read that Ubuntu devs are were
| debating about desktop color scheme, and
| someone was arguing that in the meantime
| Fedora devs are debating about update
| policy. Iâd like to get your opinion about
| what is important at Ubuntu, and why.
|
| Jono, what are key issues at Ubuntu
| nowadays?
|
|     Ubuntu as project invests itâs time and
|     effort in a wide and diverse range of
|     area including documentation,
|     translations, development, testing,
|     advocacy and more. In each of these
|     areas we have sought to build a strong
|     a vibrant community to help volunteers
|     be productive and have fun at the same
|     time.
|
|     One particular focus we have been
|     growing has been in the area of design.
|     We are keen to apply the same ethos to
|     the design community as the rest of the
|     community: rewarding good work with
|     great reputation, and looking to our
|     top contributors to help guide and
|     contribute to Ubuntu.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/04/23/open-source-communities-canonical-ubuntu-and-jono-bacon/

Ubuntu Discards System Tray

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu, the open source operating system,
| is ditching the system tray, the bar at the
| bottom of most browsers that is supposed to
| act as a notification area. The rationale
| for the change, according to Matthew Paul
| Thomas, an Ubuntu contributor, was "its
| ineffectiveness at notifying people of
| things, and its inconsistent behavior."
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ubuntu_discards_system_tray.php

Ubuntu 10.04 Overview

,----[ Quote ]
| For those running XP, not impressed with
| either buying a new OS for a couple of
| hundred or buying a new PC, Ubuntu is an
| option. But you will want to make sure you
| buy a book like Ubuntu for non-Geeks before
| taking the plunge. This will save you a lot
| of confusion as this is NOT Windows.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2010/04/23/ubuntu-10-04-overview/

5 Recommended things to do before upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

http://www.linuxnov.com/5-recommended-things-to-do-before-upgrading-to-ubuntu-10-04-lts/

Ubuntu Power Users Community

,----[ Quote ]
| The benefit of this kind of community is
| that it would provide a home for those
| people who desire more configurability of
| Ubuntu beyond itâs default installation,
| and provide a fantastic way of supporting
| this community of users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distroblogs/301452:ubuntu-power-users-community

Canonical open sources Launchpad and Ubuntu Single Sign On code

,----[ Quote ]
| More details about the Canonical Identity
| Provider can be found on the project's
| Launchpad page (login required). Canonical
| Identity Provider code is released under
| version 3 of the GNU Affero General Public
| License (AGPLv3).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-open-sources-Launchpad-and-Ubuntu-Single-Sign-On-code-983946.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 10.04 Integrates All Your Inboxes [Linux]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-1004-integrates-inboxes-amazing/

Ubuntu Power Users Community

,----[ Quote ]
| As Ubuntu continues to grow and refine,
| particularly in bringing excellence in
| design to the platform, there has been some
| concern in some parts of the community that
| it is less attuned to power users who want
| to tweak many aspects of the system than it
| once was. I agree. That in my mind is not a
| bad thing: Ubuntu is focusing on a simple,
| sleek and refined experience, and sometimes
| as Mark said recently, less is more.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/04/21/ubuntu-power-users-community/

Tomcat improvements coming up in 10.04 !

,----[ Quote ]
| Jason Brittain, a software architect at
| MuleSoft and the author of Tomcat: the
| Definitive Guide, approached us with some
| ideas about how to improve the Tomcat
| package in Debian and Ubuntu. Check out his
| blog post on working with Debian and Ubuntu
| here.
|
| Jason noticed that the Ubuntu and Debian
| init scripts were starting Tomcat via the
| JSVC service runner, in order to allow
| binding the Tomcat JVM to privileged server
| port numbers (port numbers lower than
| 1024), while still running as an
| unprivileged user. However, JSVC was also
| the source of several long-standing bugs:
| it shuts down Tomcat abruptly and
| implements unreliable restarts, so it was
| possible for the init script to be unable
| to restart Tomcat. Upstream recommends
| using Tomcatâs catalina.sh script instead,
| and that script should in turn run the Java
| binary, so that the init script can
| properly handle any issues with starts,
| stops, or restarts. But that script doesnât
| have the support to bind ports as root and
| then run as an unprivileged user, like JSVC
| doesâ
`----

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/tomcat-improvements-coming-up-in-10-04/

Change I Can Believe In

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/04/22/change-i-can-believe-in/

Canonical to Roll Out Independent Ubuntu Certified Professional Certification for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, today
| announced that it will provide its own
| fully-independent certification for junior-
| level system administrators to help them
| with Ubuntu deployments in their office
| environments. The e-learning course version
| will be available shortly after the Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release on 29
| April 2010 with students able to study in
| the classroom from June 2010 and the new
| exam available from October 2010.

Canonical open sources Launchpad and Ubuntu Single Sign On code

,----[ Quote ]
| More details about the Canonical Identity
| Provider can be found on the project's
| Launchpad page (login required). Canonical
| Identity Provider code is released under
| version 3 of the GNU Affero General Public
| License (AGPLv3).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-open-sources-Launchpad-and-Ubuntu-Single-Sign-On-code-983946.html

Open vs. Closed: Ubuntu Walks the Line