[News] Review of Oracle's OpenSolaris 2009.06

  • Subject: [News] Review of Oracle's OpenSolaris 2009.06
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:38:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenSolaris 2009.06

,----[ Quote ]
| Occasionally I get an interesting, off-the-
| beaten-path suggestion on the Request A Review
| page. This time around somebody suggested
| doing a review of OpenSolaris. Why do a review
| of OpenSolaris? Well why the heck not? Itâs
| always fun to check out a different kind of
| desktop operating system. Sometimes you can
| find an unexpected jewel when you least expect
| it. Is OpenSolaris a jewel? Iâll try to answer
| that question in this review.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/04/22/opensolaris-2009-06/

Recent:

[ogb-discuss] Call for Action

,----[ Quote ]
| So unless you can figure out how having
| OpenSolaris running on millions  of devices
| everywhere ultimately translates to revenue, I
| doubt Oracle mgmt will be impressed.  Business
| is only a popularity contest when people vote
| with dollars.
`----

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2010-April/007767.html

Solaris Licensing Changes: The Real Story

,----[ Quote ]
| Letâs move on to people that run Solaris on non-
| Sun servers: No Solaris for you, not yours!
| Items 1 and 6 make it clear that there is no
| possible way to legally run Solaris on non-Sun
| servers. Period. End of story.
`----

http://www.ypass.net/blog/2010/04/solaris-licensing-changes-the-real-story/

OpenSolaris free CDs halted

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has stopped the free OpenSolaris CD
| shipping program. A posting on the OpenSolaris
| website discussion mailing list by Oracle's
| Derek Cicero says the related links and icons
| have been removed from the opensolaris.org
| site. Downloads of OpenSolaris are still
| available from the OpenSolaris downloads site.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenSolaris-free-CDs-halted-977945.html

OpenSolaris on System z mainframe hangs in the balance

,----[ Quote ]
| The future of OpenSolaris on the IBM System
| z mainframe seems shaky at best now that
| Oracle has acquired Sun Microsystems, but
| the platform's supporters are still
| pleading their case.
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1508213,00.html

OpenSolaris, Still Open-Source Software Ready to Serve

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/trends/article.php/3875456/OpenSolaris-Still-Open-Source-Software-Ready-to-Serve.htm