[News] Examples of How OpenStreetMap Makes the World a Better Plane

  • Subject: [News] Examples of How OpenStreetMap Makes the World a Better Plane
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:02:12 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Urban Forest Map: Wikipedia + Google maps, but for Trees

,----[ Quote ]
| Since everything's open source, if someone
| else has a good idea of something to do
| with all this tree-info, they're free to go
| ahead and build their project. "The data,
| the software source code, and the website
| html/css code are licensed under the GNU
| General Public License (GPL)"
`----

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/04/urban-forest-map-wiki-open-source.php

OpenStreetMap data is on your train

,----[ Quote ]
| From Simon Clayson's Flickr stream, we
| learn that OSM iz in yer tranez. I'm sure
| that's what the cool kids would say. More
| from Simon:
|
| Great Western Trains have some seats with
| airline style LCD "entertainment" screens.
| More interesting than paying Â1.50 to watch an
| episode of Friends is the "You are exactly
| here" screen which is free. And it uses Open
| Street Map! Good work Volo TV.
`----

http://opengeodata.org/openstreetmap-data-is-on-your-train

Recent:

OpenStreetMap to reach 250,000 contributors today

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenStreetMap (OSM) Project has
| announced that it will reach more than
| 250,000 registered users today.