[News] Listing of Themes for GNOME Desktop, GNOME Shell Tricks

  • Subject: [News] Listing of Themes for GNOME Desktop, GNOME Shell Tricks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:38:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Dozen GNOME Themes

,----[ Quote ]
| Now there are plenty of sites that have posted
| their top 10, top 16, top 25, even their top
| 50 themes for GNOME, but some how their lists
| always include the same designs over and over.
| The goal here is to look at some newer and/or
| forgotten themes, some interesting
| combinations fom preexisting themes, and some
| inclusions of original work to provide a
| reason to look at these themes.
`----

http://thelinuxbox.org/news.php?2010/04/25/a-dozen-gnome-themes.html

More cool gnome-shell tips and tricks

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have been reading Ghacks within the
| last month, you know that I have become a big
| fan of what will eventually become GNOME 3.
| That replacement is currently under the title
| GNOME Shell and it is already quite a stunning
| piece of work. I have covered GNOME Shell in a
| few pieces here (Check out all the GNOME Shell
| content on Ghacks) and, after further usage, I
| thought it was a good time for a few more tips
| and tricks.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/24/more-cool-gnome-shell-tips-and-tricks/

Recent:

I have seen the future, and it is GNOME 3

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME 3 is different. Very different. Gone
| is the start button, to be replaced by the
| Activities button. No more are you
| fumbling around in menus to find what you
| need. What you will have is a very
| streamlined, sleek, and sexy desktop that
| is sure to make your computing life
| easier. Oh of course there will be those
| that say âIf it isnât brokeââ Well, I am
| one of those who will first claim that it
| is, in fact, âbrokeâ. The current desktop
| that most everyone uses is klunky, kludgy,
| and ugly. Itâs a task bar, and menus, and
| icons, and blah blah blahâthereâs no
| âApple factorâ. What do I mean by âApple
| factorâ? Simple - there is very little
| energy given to aesthetics. And believe me
| in the current incarnation of the modern,
| capitalist society - it is all about form
| over function. You have to look good
| before you can be good.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1405

GNOME 3 System Status Area Mockups

,----[ Quote ]
| In GNOME 3, the System Status Area is a
| place where System Status Indicators
| represent the status of the system to the
| user. This is not an area that is
| variously called the Notification Area or
| System Tray and should not be used by
| applications (foreground or background) to
| indicate their status. This distinction is
| necessary to ensure the entire top of the
| screen is designed properly, system owned
| and coherent, able to be modified or
| extended, scale well to smaller form-
| factors, and not become a dumping ground
| or high-profile branding opportunity.
`----

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gnome-3-system-status-area-mockups.html

Possible New GNOME 3 System Status Area Changes [Mockups]

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/possible-new-gnome-3-system-status-area.html

The Case for Gnome Shell

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple weeks ago, I wrote some posts on
| GNOME Shell which included a number of
| criticisms of the desktop environment that
| will likely become UbuntuâS default at
| some point in the future.  Jon McCann,
| lead designer for GNOME Shell, recently
| got in touch to offer his responses to the
| problems I found with the new interface.
| Hereâs what he had to say.
|
| In general, Jonâs message was that many of
| the criticisms I made of GNOME (not Gnome,
| Iâve realizedâ) Shell were unfair, given
| that its targeted release date remains six
| months in the future.  For example, Jon
| assured me that my experience with a laggy
| interface was likely due to known bugs
| involving certain Intel GPUs, which the
| GNOME developers are working on fixing.
`----