[News] [Rival] Microsoft Escapes Tax With More Cronyism (Rep. Hunter), Lobbying from Bill Gates' Daddy

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Escapes Tax With More Cronyism (Rep. Hunter), Lobbying from Bill Gates' Daddy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:30:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft wins its $100M tax-break and amnesty from broke-ass Washington State

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/23/microsoft-wins-its-1.html

Bill Gates Sr. leading income tax initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates Sr. is leading a new initiative
| campaign for a state income tax on
| wealthier residents.
|
| Gates says the current state tax system is
| unfair, and he expects voters will approve
| Initiative 1077 in November. Gates is
| father of the Microsoft co-founder and a
| longtime supporter of tax overhaul.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011662727_apwaincometax2ndld.html

Bill Gates Sr. Announces Income Tax Ballot Measure Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Washington tax activists -- including the
| father of Microsoft founder Bill Gates --
| are borrowing a page from Oregon.
|
| They announced a campaign Wednesday to put
| a high-earners' income tax on the fall
| ballot. Oregon voters approved a similar
| measure earlier this year.
`----

http://news.opb.org/article/7175-bill-gates-sr-announces-income-tax-ballot-measure-campaign/

Wash. Income Tax Measure Seeks Major Tax Overhaul

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=10437562

Wash. income tax measure seeks major tax overhaul

http://www.ajc.com/business/wash-income-tax-measure-480247.html

Wash. income tax measure seeks major overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| Tax-reform advocate Bill Gates Sr. says the
| couples pulling in $400,000 or more
| annually who would be taxed, "can afford to
| pay."
`----

http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=12352987

Tim Eyman Reacts To Washington Income Tax Ballot Measure

http://news.opb.org/article/7179-tim-eyman-reacts-washington-income-tax-ballot-measure/

Wash. state voters could see income tax initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates Sr., father of the Microsoft
| Corp. co-founder, was scheduled to headline
| an event Wednesday in Seattle where
| community leaders would announce their
| intentions about pursuing I-1077.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9F7HTG02.htm

Gregoire says she'll sign income tax initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Gov. Chris Gregoire told reporters Friday
| she'll sign the petition and probably vote
| for the high-earners income-tax initiative
| unveiled this week by Bill Gates Sr.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2011688312_gregoire_says_shell_sign_incom.html

Recent:

Microsoft Wins Nevada Royalty Tax Cut and Tax Amnesty; Reports Record Revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| Struggling to close a $2.8 billion fiscal
| deficit, the Washington State Legislature
| ended its recent special session with two
| huge gifts for Microsoft:
|
| 1) It gave Microsoft an effective $100
| million annual tax cut by revising the
| definition of the royalty tax. Under the
| old law, all of Microsoft's $20.7 billion
| annual software licensing sales were
| taxable in Washington state at .484%. Under
| the new law, the royalty tax will be
| apportioned so that only the portion of
| sales to Washington State customers would
| be taxable, a tiny fraction of Microsoft's
| taxable revenue.
|
| 2) It also gave Microsoft amnesty on an
| estimated $1.25 billion in unpaid taxes,
| interest and penalties that the company has
| avoided paying since 1997 by reporting this
| revenue from a small Reno, Nevada office.
| The state's Department of Revenue has
| ignored this practice and refused to
| address precedents that call the legality
| of Microsoft's accounting into question.
|
| Most of the legislation was led by Chair of
| the Finance committee Rep. Ross Hunter, a
| 17 year veteran former employee of
| Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Given that the Seattle Times waited until
| almost the close of the special session to
| acknowledge the dispute about Microsoft's
| Nevada tax practice, we imagine that
| Chairman Gates has greatly appreciated this
| blog's investigative work of his company's
| tax practices and the quiet effective
| accomplishments of Rep. Hunter.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/microsoft-gets-nevada-royalty-tax-cut-and-tax-amnesty.html?all

Microsoft Threats to Legislature Seal Huge Tax Cut

http://slashdot.org/submission/1222320/Microsoft-Threats-to-Legislature-Seal-Huge-Tax-Cut

Rep. Hunter Makes April 10th Tax Freedom Day for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Rep. Hunter has
| successfully re-inserted the amnesty clause
| for Microsoft's thirteen year Nevada tax
| dodge (earlier, Rep. Santos' amendment had
| removed this clause for unrelated reasons).
|
|     (2) Section 201 of this act does not
|     apply to any tax periods ending before
|     May 1, 2010, that were included in a
|     completed field audit conducted by the
|     department.
|
| Section 201 is the clause that was supposed
| to help the Dept. of Revenue crack down on
| these kinds of abusive tax transactions -
| more on this in a moment.
|
| Interestingly, Rep. Hunter's latest blog
| post is about Tax Freedom Day. Thanks to
| Rep. Hunter, April 10th is quickly becoming
| Tax Freedom Day for Microsoft.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/rep-hunter-makes-april-10th-tax-freedom-day-for-microsoft.html

Guest post: Microsoft shoots over Wash. Legislature's bow

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/201493.asp

Microsoft PR Goes on the Defensive with Veiled Threats on Tax Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Microsoft's PR firm, Waggener
| Edstrom, invited local reporters to a press
| conference with Microsoft General Counsel
| and possible architect of its Nevada tax
| dodge, Brad Smith, to discuss an update to
| a Microsoft-funded University of Washington
| study on Microsoft's overwhelming economic
| impact on our state.
|
| [...]
|
| The only problem with Microsoft's WagEd
| press conference is if you actually pay any
| attention to the illogic of Mr. Smith's
| message. For example, quoting from
| TechFlash:
|
| * "It absolutely remains the case that
| Washington state is Microsoft's home." -
| unless of course we're reporting the
| revenue received from our $20.7 billion
| annual licensing business, the home for
| that business is in Nevada.
|
| * "If you'd ask what is more at play in the
| future, it's more a question of whether the
| jobs that Microsoft is able to add will be
| added in Washington state, another state,
| or outside the United States. The big
| issues playing into that decision include
| the company's ability to secure visas for
| foreign workers, quality of life (including
| education, transportation and cultural
| life) and the cost of doing business"
|
| In other words, in order for Microsoft to
| add more jobs in Washington State, it needs
| to secure more visas for foreign workers.
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/microsoft-pr-goes-on-the-defensive.html

Microsoft Tax Dodge Mp3 Download from KBCS FM

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/04/microsoft-tax-dodge-mp3-download-from-kbcs-fm.html

Microsoft Tax Cut & Amnesty Pending in the Legislature

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/microsoft-tax-cut-amnesty-pending-in-the-legislature.html

Open Letter to the Washington State Legislature on HB 3191

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/open-letter-to-the-washington-state-legislature-on-hb-3191.html

Rep. Larry Seaquist: It's only a tax cut, if you were paying the tax

,----[ Quote ]
| Does the Department of Revenue think
| Microsoft is following the law? Well,
| we've recently received a more detailed
| response from the department about this
| issue and will post more shortly. All I'll
| say for now is that HB3176 labels this
| kind of out of state tax dodge an "abusive
| tax practice".
|
| As for Rep. Seaquist, when I wrote him to
| be sure he understood the problems with
| the bill (and to ask him for a public
| statement for the blog), he replied,
| "Gents, please direct your continuing
| concerns to Rep. Hunter. Very best wishes,
| Larry"
`----

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/we-hope-the-washington-state-legislature-understands-hb-3176-better-than-rep-larry-sequist.html

Update on Status and Records Requests Related to Microsoft Tax Dodge

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/update-on-status-and-records-requests-related-to-microsoft-tax-dodge.html

Public Records Request Received Regarding HB3176 and Rep. Hunter

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/public-records-request-received-regarding-hb3176-and-rep-hunter.html

Attorney General Affirms Non-Disclosure of Department of Revenue Tax Documents

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/03/attorney-general-affirms-nondisclosure-of-department-of-revenue-tax-documents.html

Cartoonist Takes on Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Washington State

http://microsofttaxdodge.com/2010/02/cartoonist-takes-on-microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-and-washington-state.html

Cartoon about Microsoft's giant tax gift from Washington State

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/23/cartoon-about-micros.html