[News] Nokia's Linux Efforts in the News, and Top Maemo Applications

  • Subject: [News] Nokia's Linux Efforts in the News, and Top Maemo Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:55:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MeeGo: open development and upstream involvement

,----[ Quote ]
| Ari Jaaksi, Nokia's VP for Maemo devices
| and MeeGo operations, spoke first, which he
| saw as an advantage because Intel's Imad
| Sousou would be sure to correct anything he
| said "wrong". The goal of the MeeGo project
| is to "provide industry with an open
| platform" for various kinds of devices.
| Both companies have been working on mobile
| distributions, which means that they
| "integrate the same components multiple
| times", and that is "stupid", Jaaksi said.
| That is one of the main ideas behind the
| merger.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/384127/

My Top 5 N900 Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| #1 Firefox - Easily my favorite way to surf
| the web, on the N900 or otherwise. If you
| want more of my thoughts on this one check
| out my Firefox Mobile Review.
|
| #2 fMMS - This application steps up to fill
| one of the biggest mess-ups Nokia made when
| they released the N900: lack of MMS
| support. fMMS currently supports sending
| pictures and receiving all types of media
| messages. Since I discovered this wonderful
| application I no longer have to hear my
| friends say "your phone does all that, but
| can't get a picture message?"
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-top-5-n900-applications.html

Recent:

Intel demos MeeGo platform to developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel said that the Linux-based operating
| system will be linked to its AppUp software
| store and demonstrated the unique media
| syncing capabilities between devices
| running on MeeGo: video playing on one
| device will not only sync over to another
| but also carry certain data, including
| picking up where the user left off while
| watching video on the first device.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/15928/digital-life/intel-demos-meego-platform

Intel's Meego OS to Reach Mainstream Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194703/intels_meego_os_to_reach_mainstream_laptops.html