[News] Many GNU/Linux Applications in Review, Including Hulu Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Many GNU/Linux Applications in Review, Including Hulu Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 22:16:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Donât like an Ubuntu application? Swap It out with one of these alternatives

,----[ Quote ]
| The default selection of applications in
| Ubuntu are great for most people but it
| would be foolish to think that one size fits
| all. To make it easier for you BLAH showing
| the most popular alternative to a default
| applicationâ. install-on!
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/dont-like-ubuntu-application-swap-it.html

Krank, for when Ubuntuâs novelty wears off

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the Internet is probably absorbed
| with Ubuntu 10.04 right now, and thatâs a
| good thing. When you get tired of messing
| with the location of the buttons, you can
| check out Krank, which is a rather unusual
| game.
|
| [...]
|
| Krank is in the repos for Karmic and Lucid,
| and in AUR for Arch. When the luster of
| 10.04 begins to wear off, give it a spin.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/krank-for-when-ubuntus-novelty-wears-off/

GNOME-integrated, IAX-compatible VoIP client for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Their setup requires that I can connect to
| their PHP/MySQL/SVN setup through SSH. No
| problem with Ubuntu. But I am also required
| to have an IAX-compatible VoIP client so my
| boss and other programmers can call me. You
| see, most VoIP clients are only SIP-
| compatible. IAX and SIP are just two
| different protocols for running Voice over
| IP.
`----

http://blog.brettalton.com/2010/04/30/gnome-integrated-iax-compatible-voip-client-for-ubuntu/

Linux File Managers Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| If the default doesnât work for you, how do
| you find the best replacement? How do you
| know if it will work in your favorite
| desktop environment? In this guide weâll
| cover many of the most popular file managers
| for Linux and include the details to help
| you decide which one is right for you.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/linux-file-managers-roundup/2010/04/29

That split-second realization

,----[ Quote ]
| It happened to me again yesterday. That
| moment everyone talks about, when a GUI
| program is suddenly inconvenient and
| obtrusive, and you realize that the console
| alternative is just plain faster and easier
| than clicking buttons and waiting for an
| interface to accomplish the same task.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/that-split-second-realization/

Linux screenshots made easy: Shutter & Screenie

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you own a Mac? I use both MacOS and Linux
| everyday, and found myself with a problem.
| Before I found Shutter taking screenshots in
| Linux felt like a PITA. In MacOS you can
| take region screenshots by pressing Cmd-
| Shift-4. And I missed this feature in Linux,
| until I cared enough to look for a solution.
|
| Shutter was the answer, an open source
| screenshot grabber that fills my needs, and
| probably yours too. Installing is relatively
| simple, if you have an updated version of
| Ubuntu. If not, you'll have to manually add
| the launchpad repositories. All instructions
| are on Shutter's homepage.
`----

http://www.mostlymaths.net/2010/04/linux-screenshots-made-easy-shutter.html

LogMeIn For Linux: Access Your LogMeIn Computers From A Linux Computer

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/logmein-linux-access-logmein-computers-linux-computers/

Online tool for converting video files

http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?p=825

Proprietary: