[News] British Politicians Explain Why the Digital Economy Bill Needs to be Dumped

  • Subject: [News] British Politicians Explain Why the Digital Economy Bill Needs to be Dumped
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 06:49:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Jon Ball, ealing and Fordham: why I am against the Digital Economy Act

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/jon-ball-why-i-am-against-the-digital-economy-act

Susan Kramer, Richmond Park: why I am against the Digital Economy Act

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/susan-kramer-why-i-am-against-the-digital-economy-act

Julian Huppert, Cambridge: why I am against the Digital Economy Act

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/julian-huppert-why-i-am-against-the-digital-economy-act

Ed Fordham, Hampstead and Kilburn: why I am against the Digital Economy Bill

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/ed-fordham-against-the-dea

Mark Laczarowicz, Edinburgh North and Leith: why I voted against the Digital Economy Act

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/mark-laczarowicz-why-i-voted-against-the-digital-economy-act

Recent:

Musicians coining it in Sunday Times Rich List

,----[ Quote ]
| 88 individuals from the music and
| entertainment industries appear in the 2010
| Sunday Times Rich List. An elite half dozen
| or so are richer than the Queen. Is this who
| the Digital Economy bill is designed to
| protect?
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=510&Itemid=9

A Third of London UK Households Open to Wi-Fi Attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| If a cybercriminal gains access to someoneâs
| home WiFi, either due to the network being
| unsecure or a network password being
| cracked, then email accounts, social
| networking sites and even online banking can
| be broken in to.
|
| Also with access to someoneâs home WiFi, a
| cybercriminal can use the internet
| connection however they choose. The home
| owner may be completely unaware as the
| hacker browses obscene websites or illegally
| downloads copyrighted music, films or TV
| shows from their home network.
`----

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/04/28/a-third-of-london-uk-households-open-to-wi-fi-attacks.html

When We Can Copy Analogue Artefacts...

,----[ Quote ]
| The recent battle over the Digital Economy
| Bill has focussed renewed attention on the
| area of copying digital artefacts â music
| and films, for example. It's a subject I've
| started writing and speaking about more and
| more; for example, here are some thoughts on
| why free software's success is crucially
| important in this area.
|
| But I have confession to make: that article
| is a bit of a cop-out. I didn't address the
| even bigger issue of what happens when we
| can copy analogue artefacts. Yup, you read
| that aright: the time is fast approaching
| when we will be able to download a chair or
| a bicycle and just print it out. Clearly,
| this will make the idea of analogue
| scarcity rather more complex (although
| energy concerns will always place a lower
| bound on the cost of making such copies).
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-we-can-copy-analogue-artefacts.html

Recent:

Wi-Fi broadband 'loophole' in Digital Economy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://top10.com/broadband/news/2010/04/wi_fi_broadband_loophole_in_digital_economy_act/