Re: [News] Theora Under FUD Attack from Apple, Microsoft, and MPEG-LA (Whose CEO is a Patent Troll)

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Wednesday 05 May 2010 12:00 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> Growth Market in Theora FUD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| If this is true, it is bad news for Theora
>>| indeed. Can the Mozilla foundation afford
>>| to hang a giant "Kick Me" sign on the next
>>| version of Firefox? Can they afford to
>>| litigate against even a single patent
>>| lawsuit, much less this consortium Steve is
>>| quoted as knowing of?
>> `----

http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2010/05/growth_market_i.html;jsessionid=FDOGHWWIL331FQE1GHPCKHW
ATMY32JVN

> Znu acted as if Theora wouldn't become an issue to patent holders, if at
> all, for quite some time to come.
>
>> Microsoft defends its move to H.264
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1604070/microsoft-defends-h-264
>
>    SOFTWARE MONOPOLIST Microsoft has defended its recent announcement to
>    follow Apple and adopt the proprietary H.264 video standard in Internet
>    Exploder.
>
>    Writing in his blog, Volish manager Dean Hachamovitch said it is all
>    about providing certainty in the world.
>
>    "Developers have consistently conveyed that they want certainty and
>    predictability in the underlying browser platform," he wrote. "We want to
>    deliver a great HTML5 experience in IE9 with great certainty."
>
>> Why Is MPEG-LA Getting Into The Patent Trolling Game?
>>
>> http://techdirt.com/articles/20100430/0232599255.shtml
>
>    Second, MPEG-LA's licensing rates are relatively low--$2.50 per device
>    for those that want to make a DVD player using MPEG-2 standards, for
>    example, down from $4 back in 2002.
>
> That's still a fairly hefty "tax", though.
>
>> It's Apple and Microsoft versus Google and Mozilla in a tag team match for
>> the video codec in HTML5
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| As I wrote about earlier, there has been a
>>| horse race going on about which video
>>| codecs will be supported by HTML5. With the
>>| stakes so high, the race is starting to get
>>| a bit rougher. Now it is turning into a tag
>>| team match, with Apple and Microsoft on one
>>| side and Google and Mozilla on the other.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60763
>
> Sounds like a grade B giant-monster movie.
>
> Which Steve is more threatening?
>
>    http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-responds-to-jobss-thoughts-on-flash
>
>    Apple's use of proprietary software and recommendation of an explicitly
>    patent-afflicted standard (H.264) are inconsistent with the free web.
>
>    In a response to an open letter from Hugo Roy of the Free Software
>    Foundation Europe, Jobs claimed that free codecs like Ogg Theora could
>    also infringe patents, but that does not justify making the internet
>    standard for video a technology that is known to be patented by a group
>    who is actively collecting royalties and suing people for infringement.
>
>    . . .
>
>    In the meantime, "Everything could be patented anyway" is not an argument
>    for "Give up even trying and just submit to MPEG-LA." It's an argument
>    for Ogg Theora, and against software patents.

I think we're about to see Google clashing with other companies. Google wants to
minimise 'codec tax', which ought to work well for everyone (if Google gets its way).

Luckily, software patents are the exception, not the norm (Japan, US, and maybe a few other
countries don't make the 'norm').

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

I keep six honest serving-men - (They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When - And How and Where and Who
- -- Kipling
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 09:00:01 up 5 days, 23:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.84, 1.00, 1.21