[News] Why GNU/Linux Offers Trust More Than Proprietary Software Platforms

  • Subject: [News] Why GNU/Linux Offers Trust More Than Proprietary Software Platforms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 10:15:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Trusting GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I do not think the troll gets GNU/Linux.
| FLOSS is about sharing and trust. Debian
| GNU/Linux has a well-defined social
| contract in addition to the GPL and other
| Free Software licences used in the
| distribution. If, after all that a person
| does not trust a CD marked âOfficial Debian
| GNU/Linuxâ (âOfficial images are built by a
| member of the Debian CD team and have
| undergone some testing to ensure they work.
| Once they have been released, the images
| never change - if they turn out to be
| broken, a new set with a different version
| number is released..â) one can check the
| md5sums of individual packages or whole
| images. If you want to go past that, you
| can examine all the sources and build your
| own installation CDs. That is a huge jobâ
| Give thanks that Debian GNU/Linux takes
| care of it.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/05/03/trusting-gnulinux/

Linux As a Religious Experience

,----[ Quote ]
| All this rant was just to sayâ be nice, be
| kind, be considerate when discussing your
| favorites and beliefs regarding operating
| systems and software.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nocturnalslacker/2010/05/05/linux-as-a-religious-experience/

Recent:

Georgia Learns Why Open Source is Better

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/georgia-learns-why-open-source-is.html