[News] UNIX at HP Gets Better, Embedded BSD Magazine

  • Subject: [News] UNIX at HP Gets Better, Embedded BSD Magazine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:14:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HP's Linux OS Alternative Gets a Face Lift

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's UNIX ecosystem was thrown into turmoil
| following the company's acquisition by
| Oracle. A big question mark remains over the
| future of Solaris and OpenSolaris server
| operating systems. In contrast, IBM and HP,
| the other two big enterprise UNIX players,
| have been plodding along steadily, hoping all
| the while to pick up disaffected Sun
| customers quicker than they lose their own to
| Linux implementations.
|
| Let's focus on HP (NYSE: HPQ). Linux leaves
| the company in a rather tricky situation.
| That's because HP is a big fan of the open
| source server software -- it's a phenomenon
| too big to ignore. But it also sells UNIX, so
| it has to be careful not to cannibalize its
| UNIX sales by promoting Linux too hard. In
| other words, HP's UNIX and Linux staff must
| push their respective lines of business
| without unduly dissing their opposite
| numbers.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/trends/article.php/3880121/HPs-Linux-OS-Alternative-Gets-a-Face-Lift.htm

Embedded BSD

http://bsdmag.org/magazine/1067-embedded-bsd

Recent:

pc-bsd-a quick tour of the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| this clip show some of the games/apps/etc that
| come pre installed with pc-bsd
`----

http://www.freebsd.org.in/2010/04/02/pc-bsd-a-quick-tour-of-the-desktop/

Taking a look at PC-BSD 8.0