[News] Patent System's Problems Highlighted: How Taxpayers Punish Themselves

  • Subject: [News] Patent System's Problems Highlighted: How Taxpayers Punish Themselves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 18:29:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Does The US Gov't Get To Patent Research Paid For By Public Tax Dollars?

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous reader links us to a report
| from The National Institute of Standards and
| Technology (NIST), which came out earlier
| this year, that highlights how, in 2008, the
| US government brought in $170 million (pdf)
| by licensing federally (i.e., taxpayer-
| funded) technology and patents to private
| companies.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100429/0214049233.shtml

Will Cloud Computing Lead To Patent Liability For End Users?

,----[ Quote ]
| With so much focus on "cloud computing"
| these days, companies looking to leap into
| the cloud and to embrace the agility and
| flexibility it provides are being warned
| that there may be a looming problem on the
| horizon: patent litigation. Seriously. As
| with pretty much any hot area of technology
| these days, there's a pretty big patent
| thicket around cloud computing -- even if
| the basic technology really isn't all that
| different than what's been around for ages.
| But, of course, that won't stop
| opportunistic companies from claiming their
| patents cover new cloud services (or of
| having some players in the field attack
| competitors with patents).
`----

http://techdirt.com/blog/itinnovation/articles/20100430/1217209260.shtml

Brief video commentary on âwritten descriptionâ patent requirement case

,----[ Quote ]
| The court stated, âThe â516 patent discloses
| no working or even prophetic examples of
| methods that reduce NF-kB activity, and no
| completed synthesis of any of the molecules
| prophesized to be capable of reducing NF-kB
| activityâ
`----

http://wlflegalpulse.com/2010/05/04/brief-video-commentary-on-written-description-patent-requirement-case/

Recent:

Software patents: Stifling innovation with threats and bluster

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=345