[News] Red Hat 6 (Beta) in Review, Version 3 Reaches End of Life

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat 6 (Beta) in Review, Version 3 Reaches End of Life
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 17:11:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

RHEL 6 - your sensible but lovable friend

,----[ Quote ]
| Another big change in the RHEL 6 beta is
| the wide selection of disk formatting
| options, including ext4. You know a Linux
| feature has arrived when it makes its way
| to the conservative enterprise releases
| like RHEL and such is the case with ext4
| file system, which is now the default
| filesystem format in RHEL 6. In addition to
| ext4, the XFS filesystem is now supported.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/05/07/rhel_6_beta_review/

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 & CentOS 3 end-of-life announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The company advises all users to upgrade to
| a later release. Under the standard 7 year
| life-cycle, RHEL 5, for example, will be
| supported until March of 2014. The next
| version, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, is
| currently in development and is available
| as a pre-release beta. The latest stable
| release is version 5.5 from the end of
| March.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Red-Hat-Enterprise-Linux-3-CentOS-3-end-of-life-announced-995776.html

Recent:

Test Driving Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

,----[ Quote ]
| OFBâs Ed Hurst continues his quest for the
| perfect UNIX or Linux operating system by
| looking at a recently released beta of Red
| Hatâs upcoming Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
| Is it the Linux nirvana? Read on to find
| out.
|
| [...]
|
| For the non-profit computer ministry I'm
| running, I would say the new CentOS 6 is
| going to become one of our flagship distros
| based on what I've seen in RHEL 6 Beta.
| Give it a test drive!
`----

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/638.html

The Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Kernel: What Is It?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sitting at the heart of every Linux OS
| distribution is a Linux kernel. When it
| comes to the upcoming Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux (RHEL) 6 release, the issue of which
| kernel is being used is not a cut and dried
| answer, however.
|
| RHEL 6 is currently in its first beta
| release, with a feature freeze now in
| place. Currently, the mainline Linux kernel
| is nearing its 2.6.34 release, while the
| most recent stable release is the 2.6.33
| release, which came out in February. But
| instead of either sticking with the 2.6.33
| Linux kernel or holding out for 2.6.34, Red
| Hat is taking a different approach.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3880131/The-Red-Hat-Enterprise-Linux-6-Kernel-What-Is-It.htm

Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS has been referred to often as Red Hat
| without the expensive support price tag. This
| is accurate, as CentOS is indeed based on Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux. Unlike its Red Hat
| counterpart however, CentOS is completely free
| of charge, enterprise friendly and is designed
| to meet the needs of enterprise servers,
| workstations and desktop environments.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3878581/Enterprise-Linux.htm

CentOS Server Evaluation